jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

1. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 5 years ago

Give Peace a chance.

John Lennon

Do you think we will ever see Peace in the World?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope so, but I think the USA is not seeing that the Arab revolutions are for equality, not just a democratic style of Goverment structure.

The real issue is equality, and USA cannot see this I believe. We  approach the region like we need to control it, 1940's style of Goverment, Hanging on to Old beliefs and ways.  Arab states are far smarter than that now.

Peace yes, but a wake up process is urgently needed.

2. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I do, but I don't think I, personally, am likely to see it in my lifetime.  At least in terms of peace between groups/countries.  There's another kind of lack of peace, though, and that's the kind that goes behind the closed doors of homes, and within families.  That kind is a kind I think will take longer, although I do think, in time, even that kind may dramatically be reduced.

With more and more understanding of human nature, human beings, and overall information that the world never had before; I think understanding (and eliminating, or at least addressing) the roots of violence and wars is something that stands an increasingly far better chance of happening.  I think there's still a long way to go (for even the most educated people, a lot of the time), but I think better understanding of humans as individuals, and of humans in their interactions with others, will eventually lead to dramatic changes in the chances for overall peace.

Other than the violence people use to defend themselves against the violence of someone else, I think pretty much all violence against someone else comes from either a damaged "soul" or else fear.  A ridiculously simple example is on a site like this:  So often you'll see one person assume that someone else who does things differently than he does things out of some selfish or nasty motive.  In other words, a lot of people have a tendency to assume the worst of others who do things differently than they do.  That's where increased understanding of human nature, other human beings, and the things that go on in human interactions could (and I think will) eventually lead to an overall peace (and maybe even drastic reduction in that individual-family kind of "war" that I mentioned).

Whether you believe that "the meek shall inherit the Earth", or believe that survival of fittest has reached a stage where "fittest" means in terms of psychologically/emotionally and socially "fittest" (in terms of "furthering" the human species, but also the rest of life on the planet, and the planet, itself); I do think that in the not-so-distant future human beings will finally leave behind the "law-of-the-jungle" mentality and behavior that leads to war; and find that the species has finally grown past it's long-ago evolutionary roots (or, if you prefer to think of it this way, "heathen and barbaric" behavior).

(Ah!  Time to wrap up this unplanned, "deep-thought", lunch-time, interlude; and head out into a lighter-side kind of Saturday afternoon and evening.  smile  )

3. lovemychris profile image80
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

The Garden of a Thousand Buddhas...in Montana.
    Tibetan people and Native Americans working together for Peace.
    Non-violent resistance.