jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Politifact's Lie of the Year - Always Republican? Coincidence?

1. 0
    Texasbetaposted 5 years ago

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2010 … an_172.php

Death panels, government takeover of healthcare...anyone ever go check the percentages on Politifact? Go to the Pants on Fire page and count how many are from conservatives and how many are liberal. Does it appear ironic to anyone else that the party who claims to champion values and religion tends to be the party who outright lies in order to get their points across? Also, with regards to values...go check how many conservatives went down for affairs, using public funds for adultery trysts, and homosexual adultery while crusading against homosexual rights. Folks...I know politicians lie, but one party appears to not understand the concepts of true/false.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Claims like "Death Panels" aren't really wrong.

Sure, they seem ludicrous - How could we ever allow such panels in a country like this?!

But the fact of the matter is that any socialized decision-making regarding health is a Death Panel.

The FDA is responsible for well over 30,000 deaths a year because it artificially raises the cost of developing drugs and intentionally keeps drugs off the market as long as possible. It also helps keep generics off the market as long as possible, and countless other "Death-panel-esque" things. The FDA chooses who lives and who dies - perhaps not directly - by instituting such policies.

The AMA is a sort of Death Panel because it outlaws anyone from providing medical care unless they are a) rich, and b) able to pass ridiculous amounts of training. A nurse today has underwent more training than a doctor 30+ years ago, yet they can't actually practice medicine. People are dying because the supply side of medical practitioners is artificially low. The AMA chooses who lives and who dies - not directly - by having such policies.

The Federal Government is responsible for thousands of more medical-related deaths because they outlaw the selling of organs. Many countries that do NOT put artificial bans on selling organs don't have 5 year waiting lists for a single kidney (Amazingly, Iran does this, and organs are not nearly as difficult to come by). This is a form of "death panel" because it causes a sort of lottery system by which people are chosen to live or die.

The point is that it's not really possible to determine if X is false or not because the things that are claimed won't materialize themselves in a predictable way.

A panel of 9 people sitting around deciding who lives and who dies already exists, anyway. The Supreme Court!

Anyway, I just wanted to emphasize that the "politifact", or whatever, isn't necessarily accurate because they can't predict the future, or foresee the unforseeable.

2. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

I really like the death panel crap we heard and so many conservatives bought into. The same party that claimed Obama was trying to kill off grandma two years ago, are seeking to cut benefits for granny today. The same party faithful that sceamed at the top of their lungs about protecting granny and now lining up to take their wacks at her knees.

Sry I was unable to check the link. It is all I can do just to make it around here on hub pages with this piece of crap Virgin Mobile broadband 2Go. I have refreshed the page 5 times, shut down the web page 3 times and still haven't got the comment posted. 14 minutes and counting.

1. 0
      Texasbetaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can sympathize...I can never work my phone.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I have noticed that also. I like to check out the site and see what they have to say. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

It's helpful to click on the link under the meter and read their fact checking.

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Republicans represent business and the corporations, less taxes and military whatever, to protect their profits and nothing more. Everything they say is lying to garner votes.