Louis Walsh X Factor Judge False Sex Claims

1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 5 years ago

Ireland is now the world capital for false claims of sexual assault, those making such false claims should face the full rath of the law.

X Factor judge Louis Walsh has welcomed the news that gardaí in Dublin have dropped an investigation into an accusation of an alleged indecent assault.

The music mogul was commenting as it emerged that a 24-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of knowingly making a false report to police.

Leonard Watters was detained in Navan town and taken to Dublin for questioning, where he can be held for up to 24 hours.

The penalty for such an offence ranges from a €500 fine to five years in jail.

Walsh said it had been a "hugely distressing time" and he was now pursuing legal action over publication of the story.

He said: "I have been informed by An Garda Síochána that I am now no longer under investigation.

"I have robustly maintained from the outset that this alleged incident did not occur."

Walsh said he was "outraged" that the story was ever published and he had instructed his libel lawyer.

He added: "I have no intention of letting this matter rest until I have received total and absolute vindication.

"This has been a hugely distressing time for me, but I would like to thank all my friends and colleagues for their support and I am now just looking forward to getting back to work."

The Irish star became a household name in 2004 when he became a judge on The X Factor, and is the only remaining member of the original panel.

He has managed a number of groups and performers, including boy bands Boyzone and Westlife.