jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Afghan war's deadly toll on US forces hasn't eased.

1. TMMason profile image75
    TMMasonposted 5 years ago

I myself have never bought the lie about us not losing as many soldiers under Obama. I would be more inclined to believe the true numbers are hid from the public view.

It is good to see the leant Left still tallying the death toll daily...

--"KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Despite U.S. reports of progress on the battlefield, American troops were killed in the first half of this year at the same pace as in 2010 — an indication that the war's toll on U.S. forces has not eased as the Obama administration moves to shift the burden to the Afghans.

While the overall international death toll dropped by 14 percent in the first half of the year, the number of Americans who died remained virtually unchanged, 197 this year compared with 195 in the first six months of last year, according to a tally by The Associated Press.

Americans have been involved in some of the fiercest fighting as the U.S. administration sent more than 30,000 extra troops in a bid to pacify areas in the Taliban's southern heartland and other dangerous areas. U.S. military officials have predicted more tough fighting through the summer as the Taliban try to regain territory they have lost.

President Barack Obama has begun to reverse the surge of American forces, ordering a reduction of 10,000 by the end of the year and another 23,000 by September 2012. But the U.S. military has not announced which troops are being sent home, or whether they will be withdrawn from any of the most violent areas in the south and east.

Rear Adm. Vic Beck, a spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Kabul, said he couldn't comment specifically on the U.S. death count, but noted that the casualties were unchanged despite the surge in forces. He attributed the overall decline in the international toll to coalition progress on the battlefield, including the discovery of a rising number of militant weapons caches. He also said Afghan security forces are increasingly taking the lead, although recent violence has raised concerns about their readiness to secure their own country..."--

http://www.windstream.net/news/read.php … mp;ps=1018

2. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

I hope things improve for America and it's allies in Afghanistan.

Australia has troops in the front line as has England and others. I hope the surge worked and America can continue to wind down this war.

Other situations in the region are not helpful.

Pakistan seems to be a large political problem for America in getting to the terrorist leaders, and India/Pakistan is a fragile allegiance at the best of times to boot.
    An interesting post.

TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes it is a literal powder keg. But I want out as much as the anti-war Left. We got who we were looking for, I am not into Nation-Building. The State Dept. would be shit out of luck on that. Let China take care of 'em, see how they like one another.

1. callonresources profile image73
        callonresourcesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Where does China come into the equation? Also why blame Obama for the death toll? It was expected that the death toll will be high after the surge..but this did not happen and the death toll remained static so this is an achievment and Obama should be congratulated.

TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I didn't blame him for anything in this situation. I don't believe the media are being honest about the death toll. And we know he isn't following his generals' suggestions, they came out and said that.

I am happy, I want out of there.

And every State Dept. official asked has said... oh if we break relations with Pakastan China is on the sidelines waiting to take them in... so let them do it

His other policies... not this one... are abject failures.

We will see about this move?..

I am tired of worrying about building the world, while this nation falls apart.