jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Swiss Political Party Ad Features Jewish Doll With an Arrow in Its Hea

1. TMMason profile image75
    TMMasonposted 5 years ago

Ahh the tolerant Swiss...

Swiss party ad features Jewish doll

Ads promoting an independence party in Geneva featured a doll of a man wearing a yarmulke with an arrow in its head and an Israeli flag painted on it, Swiss media reported Friday.

According to Swiss reports, a local anti-Semitic and anti-Israel group, the GNC, is behind the ad. Last week, a Swiss politician called for a ban on products made in Israel.

The anti-Semitic ads incurred the wrath of members of the Jewish community in the country. "This is a call for the murder of Jews," said Jonah Gurfinkel. Sabine Simkhovitch-Dreyfus, deputy director of the Jewish community federation said: "A red line has been crossed."

A GNC member claimed the ad was directed against the Israeli government, but Dreyfus rejected his claims saying, "Sadly the arrow on the forehead does not leave a shadow of a doubt." Jewish groups are now considering a lawsuit against the GNC

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 … 24,00.html

(EDITED; I grabbed a new source with a lil more info..)

Their just so funny...

Seems like they picked up their best customers habits after all. I knew the NAZIs taught them something, birds of a feather.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

What gave you the idea the Swiss don't have extreme political parties?  They are kind of famous for it.

TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually I would not thought to have seen such a thing from the Swiss today. They are always being held up as the gold standard for nutrality.

1. John Holden profile image59
        John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Their neutrality as a nation does not necessarily extend to all its citizens.
        Should I grab an image from an extremist party and say hey look typical of the US?

TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You do that every day, along with Chris and Doug, and a lot of others, so...

Europe is fair game also, bro, not just Christianity and America.

1. John Holden profile image59
            John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't follow you.

Are you trying to tell me that extremist parties are representative of the countries that house them?

And what do you mean "Europe is fair game" I haven't said otherwise, unless you are quibbling because I said the US rather than US and UK?  I could have, we do have extremist parties, like your favoured EDL, but they aren't by any means typical.

3. secularist10 profile image90
    secularist10posted 5 years ago

Sigh, I can't stand these idiotic news articles that don't give you the relevant information. I don't speak the language of this ad, so for all I know it could be vehemently pro-Israel.

Anyway, the others are right, it is a mistake to stereotype the Swiss as some nation of happy "civilized" people. They are human beings like everyone else.