jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

4th July Celebrations What would the Founding Fathers think of Obama?

1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 5 years ago

What would the Founding Fathers think if they seen that America has a Black President, would they think America has come of age or it was living in the dark ages?

1. Onusonus profile image85
      Onusonusposted 5 years ago in reply to this

for a second I thought you were going to talk about the job he is doing. My mistake. I honestly think they would not be too happy with the way he is running the country, if it has any bearing on the subject.

Here's a thought from Ben Franklin.
      "I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

1. Paradise7 profile image86
        Paradise7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I like that!

1. Onusonus profile image85
          Onusonusposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.

1. Paradise7 profile image86
            Paradise7posted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome!

2. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

It is not the color of a person that determines who can be President, but what can they do for our Country. I don't personally care what our founding fathers would think there was tremendous ignorance then. We should have came of age years ago.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The founding fathers would be shocked by women voting.

They would be appalled at the thought of women in the military giving orders to men. Women in combat? The founding fathers would faint.

Poor white folks voting? It wasn't what the founding fathers envisioned.

Interracial marriage?  Mongrel children. If Thomas Paine is average in viewpoint, the idea of a Catholic president would have been appalling.

We gloss over in American history discrimination against Chinese, Native Americans, Irish and Italians.

Negros in the military? WITH GUNS???!!!!

Open homosexuality? Equal rights regardless of race creed or national origin?The founders would freak.

The fabric of society has changed. That's why the Constitution is a dynamic 'living' document which must be read with the changes in mind.

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It should be read with changes in mind, but are they truly giving the American people what they are asking for? mmmmmm.... Changes is good but Doug when a couple is interracial regardless if the couple is black and white, white and asian and the list can go on. The children are not mongrel children, they are blessings and it does not matter what the skin color is. That is part of our problem many still look at the color of a person's skin and not the intelligence of the person.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
          Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I am very much in favor of cross-cultural marriage. My wife is Russian - our daughter is Russian-American as I am committed to respecting her Russian heritage.

I used the word 'mongrel' for emphasis - to underscore how we respect cultural diversity now but don't erect the cultural barriers which the founding fathers believed were natural law.

3. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 5 years ago

Can Obama really celebrate the 4th July with his achivements to date smile

4. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago

I think the founding fathers would have been shocked at the thought of a black man being president.  Racism was taken for granted in those days.  The only experience the white population had of black people then were as slaves.  They may have been very democratic in other respects, but I doubt that "We the people" would have extended to all peoples.  It is worth remembering that even the Church in those days supported slavery.  In Britain, there were a few votes in the House of Commons to abolish slavery, and on the times it was defeated, the church bells across the land rang out in celebration. The idea of equality of all races is a relatively recent understanding, far ahead of the mindset of the founding fathers.  I don't know if the word racism even existed in those days, but the expectation of the white population was that God had made them as rulers of the world, and black people were seen as belongings, made by God to serve the white population.  I think we have a lot to be thankful for, that mankind has progressed so far, so quickly, that the race of the president is not considered an issue - at least for the majority of the world's people.

5. TMMason profile image72
    TMMasonposted 5 years ago

Some would have been horrified... and some would be very proud of this nation, and others would be on the fence.

6. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

"Pass the Grey Poupon Tommy (Jefferson)"
    "Sure Ben(Franklin)." wink

Hellfire Club. Hear of it?

7. Paul Wingert profile image79
    Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago

I think our founding fathers would be impressed with our president becasue he's dealing with issues that didn't exist in their day. The founders of this country didn't deal with international affairs, health care, global economies, etc, etc. These guys existed decades before the industrial revolution and the issues that came along with it - child labor, wage and employment discrimination, and so on.

working