jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Is it wrong to not call the cops if...

1. Mr-Yo LV profile image60
    Mr-Yo LVposted 5 years ago

...you witnessed a person getting ran over on the highway?  I had a co-worker who said he saw a man get hit on the freeway when he was heading home from work.  I told him he should have called 911.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Calling the cops would be a no-brainer. Not to mention, an ambulance. hmm

3. Norah Casey profile image81
    Norah Caseyposted 5 years ago

I think it would be wrong, but I'm not sure if the police would do anything about it. My boyfriend and I recently called the police when we saw a man holding a gun to another man's head in a car heading down the off-ramp beside us on the freeway in Oakland. The dispatcher asked if I had the license plate, which I couldn't see because of the angle and because the car was on the other side of a landscaped median. We knew the make, model, and approximate year of the car, described the driver and gunman, and told him the name/number of the exit. He sighed, and repeated "what is the license plate number." We repeated we didn't have it, he said "thanks" and hung up on us.

I wouldn't change what I did, but if I went through that experience on a regular basis I doubt I'd continue calling the police.

1. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think you should call the police regardless of what action they may or may not take. Then you know you have done your civic duty.