Does The Press & Media Treat Sarah Palin Fairly?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (39 posts)
  1. thaivalentine profile image60
    thaivalentineposted 12 years ago

I don't view her as a capable candidate, however I thought the recent effort by the press in examining her email a little extreme.  It seems everyone in the press and network TV really zero in on any little misstep she takes - what's your point of view?

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She does it to herself.

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The press treats her like a vapid media personality because she treats herself like a vapid media personality.

If she were a serious politician, she would have held at least one press conference where she would have to field unscripted questions from the press. She never has.

1. kateperez profile image60
        kateperezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to disrespect President Obama, but his press conferences are not unscripted, or he just doesn't answer the question asked.

Those daily press conferences come with lists of approved questions.

That is how they keep their transparency.

Not defending SP, don't truly like her, just sayin' she's not the only one. big_smile

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I fear for the sanity of those who think she's smart. lol

4. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the press is very intrusive worldwide now, and politicians pay the price associated with closer scrutiny which the public seems to want anyway.

A politician has very little life inside or outside of politics today that is not subject to close examination.

Pailin couldn't get as pie in a pie fight! smile

1. brimancandy profile image77
        brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They should be examined. If they were not watched by someone, they would be doing even more underhanded crap then they are now. Like the whole, lets give vouchers to the rich so they can buy luxury boats, to keep the shipping industry going in my state, while we turn around and take food stamps and social security away from the poor. Oh, and vouchers so that the rich can buy more expensive cars. Oh, and bailout the banks, and give 5 billion dollars to the oil industry, even though it is obvious that they don't need it.

Problem is, Brimancandy, if subsidies for companies (all companies that get subsidies, not just the oil industry) were removed, can you imagine how much more we'd pay for things? 

They will get their profits, no matter how.

5. American View profile image59
      American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no queation the Media gets on Palin and does not let go if she misspeaks. Obama and Biden have hunders of gaffes, you never hear about any of them. I am not sure why they do it. Maybe they thought she was a treat to Obama, much like Bachmann Now. She is doing well and polling that she is neck and neck with Obama. So Media is trying to tear her down. The same is happening to Huntsman. Noone took him serious. But he has scored some points and the Media is now going after him.

1. BukowskiBabe profile image76
        BukowskiBabeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sarah Palin energized the GOP base when it was at a low ebb. For this, she cannot and will not be forgiven in some circles. I don't endorse Palin, nor do I think she's the complete idiot some would like to portray her as. In an interview Bill Clinton commented on Palin, saying something to the effect that she has great politial instincts. I would tend to agree.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I were an idiot, and I was running for president, I hope to god the media would tear me apart and save our country from idiocy.

7. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think she's been treated with kid gloves by the media. She should have been hounded out of mainstream politics long ago. She's a complete dumbell and a right-wing screwball.

name calling?  Really?  That adds value.

8. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Over the past 2 years, even people who loved Palin, have discovered that she has no concern for others or politics, is self- absorbed and self-centered.  She loves the publicity that leads to the money.  Her gravy train is close to an end.  Last stop, all opportunists off!

2. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 12 years ago

The mainstream media is slime in the pocket of the scummy Democratic party which has hatred, lies and fear as a political platform.  smile

Are they fair to Palin?  Of course they aren't.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Sure, like using her own dialogue on Saturday Night Live with most thinking it was made up for the show.  Her exact words were so ridiculous nothing needed to be changed for the skit to be hilarious.  Yep,  Palin is a perfect tea party representative.  lol

2. kateperez profile image60

True, the left is not fair to Palin, and the Right is not fair to liberal leaders.  Difference:  Palin is not running for political office.  She's a citizen of the United States with no ties to any decision made by the federal, state or local governments of this country.

She may be in the spotlight, but so are a lot of celebrities.  Know what I heard last about Angelina and Brad?  They are going to get married!  That's vapid and harmful, isn't it?

Why do opposition forces in the media have to be so ugly about the side they don't agree with?  Not very journalistic.

3. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

The reasons media and political rivals are so hard on Palin is because she appears to be crossing her fingers behind her back as she slings some half-truths and self-serving opinions. She calculates her remarks to get specific reactions. Her view of life and living is not always about fairness and equality. It's about serving a very specific agenda, which excludes huge cross-sections of people.

It's no wonder the media are so harsh about her. So is the public who don't support her.

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

They fall all over their dumb asses to try and dis-credit her... and do nothing but show their true faces to America.

She serves a great purpose just being out there... the Left cannot stand her and they cannot help but show how vicious and hateful they truly are.

And how biased they are... if she were a Liberal there would be no attacks from the Left wing Media, or the Progressives at Fox.

And everyone can see it.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

gerglesmorf?

2. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bulldust TM, I think you should get a grip. The woman is a religious fanatic and as smart as mud, and I'm no democrat.

I'm telling you, America ain't the big cheese anymore, and if she gets in,  countries all over Europe and the free world as well as China and India will be gone so fast you won't have time to see it coming.

And guess what? I know some of you think you are the only country in the world, but apart from your military muscle (soon to be overtaken) you are yet another country with a big economy and not enough working heads to pay for it, so if you fall out with the rest of the world you will disappear up your own ornamental orifice.

No Government I can think of except America would even consider a Pailin. smile

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Palin is a waste of time regardless if she's left or right. Liberals are very thankful she isn't on their side. Even most conservatives don't think much of her.  I can't believ I'm wasting my time writing about her. So I'm going to end here.

2. kateperez profile image60

Westboro Baptist Church is full of religious fanatics.  SP may be religious, but she's not trying to tell people that soldiers should die, and that jews are the devil.

She also speaks in tongues.  I doubt when she does so it's any harder to comprehend than when she speaks in public.  How did I know you were from Texas before checking your profile?  smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, just Democratic leaders.  Oh wait. those were just "surveyors marks".

5. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

I think she gets what she deserves. Sarah Palin has become the medias monster. She came out of nowhere, and they turned her into this bigger than life political dynamo. And, when she quit her job as Gov of Alaska, some of the media that support her is still sticking with her, to try to make her look good, while the rest take a huge dump on her doorstep, as she has somehow not lived up to quite the media monster they expected. The rest are just vultures hoping for scraps of what might be left over of her career, and circling hoping for more.

She has the power to stop all of this by saying. I am NOT running for President in 2012. If she does run, the media circus will continue. Good for her, bad for America.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Media can make or unmake a person, institutions or anything they take their attention to. They become so powerful like the banks. They are powerful interest groups. Don't mess with them, some people KA them (Kiss their A@@e@@).

7. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Yes, by giving her any attention at all she is being treated unfairly, it is very unfair of the media and press to treat her like she is a 'somebody' when she really isn't. Ignoring her would be the only fair thing to do smile

LOL

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Define "fairly."
    They admit they cover her because she is "news." Or is she news because they cover her?
    They are all about ratings, so if people tune in to see the latest Palinism, then they've done a good job.
    Why do people like Paris Hilton, the Kardashian sisters or Charlie Sheen dominate the news? Because they up viewership/readership.
    I think the media is feeding "us" the pablum we, as dumbed-down, celebrity-crazed Americans want to see.

As per TMMason's quote:

No self-respecting liberal would deliberately set out on an agenda to distract and destroy. Just isn't our ideology. I can't imagine a left-wing mirror image of Palin. Just wouldn't happen. sad

1. brimancandy profile image77
      brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem with that, is that the media pushes these people down America's throats, assuming that every person that watches TV or reads a book wants to see these people. Look at the recent royal wedding. I could give a rats ass less, yet almost every TV station was carrying it.

I have never seen the Kardashians, and don't care to. As for Charlie Sheen he may be a drunken crazed actor, or brilliant, as millions of people suddenly took an interest in him when he started acting crazy, paying as much as $500.00 just to see his one man show, which never would have happened if it wasn't his media induced elevated fame, just like Lady Gaga, who has millions of fans around the world, they say more than any female recording artist ever. On facebook alone she has over 40 million fans.

A smart actress once said, the crazier you act, the more the media wants to hear what you have to say, she even sent pictures of herself doing wild crap to the Enquirer, just to get the attention that made her a star. Anyone care to take a stab at who that actress was? Is?

9. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

TM if she was a liberal she wouldn't get a second thought from the left. No self respecting liberal would vote for anyone like her in the first place. Conservatives are the only ones who don't care about a candidate's ability to do the job. All they need to fall all over each other praising them is to hear that god told them to run for office. If god picked em they must be the most qualified person for the job. Amen

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True dat, Stump.
      But the caveat on that is Mormons don't have the right "God" so they don't really count sad.

10. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

every rediculous statement and silly thing she tries, says, repeats gets more than its share of air time.

I would say right or wrong she gets catered to well.

1. carol3san profile image60
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say  political aspirations she may have for holding a national office is like dead meat.  She is not smart enough to be a serious canadate.  Not to put her down in anyway, its just a fact.  I believe she wants the lime light and money....that's all.  The fact the she even quit her job as govenor after serving only a half term, then hurriedly put together a book about herself  is proof of what I mean

I also find it hard to believe she appears stupid on purpose.  I also find it hard to believe some admire her, but then, look at  the past choices of those who do.  smile

11. profile image0
    wongomowaleposted 12 years ago

The press probably gives her too much attention if anything. The woman is a joke who can't answer the most basic of American history questions, or basic questions period.

12. kateperez profile image60
    kateperezposted 12 years ago

I think that the media tends to be more critical of most women in politics.  Hillary Clinton was run ragged, and to attack a woman for choosing a career is highly disrespectful.

The one thing I truly issue with against the media is that they implied (when she was VP candidate) was that she should have been at home taking care of her 5 kids.  Did they ever say that about George H.W. Bush?  He has 5 children, as well. 

The bias based on gender is ridiculous.  Stereotypical behaviors and expectations should be left for the dark ages.  Women have managed to make great strides in equality, and the media should be ashamed of themselves for not being as "progressive" as those they tout to support.

Sarah Palin is not my first choice (nor my fourth, fifth, .....) for a political office, however if she has the wherewithal to bring a unity to a group of people, more power to her!  Media needs to lay off her personal life.

Additionally, as was mentioned, her Governor e-mails?  Really?  Seriously???   What about someone whose behavior has been questionable?  How about Anthony Weiner, or Ted Kennedy?  What about those who are in federal public office, state public office, the CEO of NY Times, who demanded they be released?

Nosy butts get themselves into trouble if they keep it up so long.

Leave the personal lives of politicians out of the public arena.  It's none of our business!

13. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

This is Colbert illustrating a literal interpretation of what Palin said.

I think that it's impossible to NOT think Palin is an idiot.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber … irect=true

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)