jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Hitler's hometown revokes his honorary citizenship

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

Hitler's hometown revokes his honorary citizenship

By Michael Shields | Reuters

VIENNA (Reuters) - The Austrian town of Braunau, Adolf Hitler's birthplace, has revoked the Nazi dictator's honorary citizenship -- even if he never actually was awarded one.
    The town council voted unanimously late on Thursday to strip Hitler of any honours he may have received and which did not expire automatically when he died by his own hand in a Berlin bunker in 1945.
    http://news.yahoo.com/hitlers-hometown- … 35721.html

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The fact that this is news worthy should show people the diminishing quality of journalism. lol

1. livewithrichard profile image84
        livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you have never been to Austria then it would probably be hard for to empathize with their citizens for having to be associated with the Hitler legacy. There are deep and bitter wounds that only the rewriting of history will heal.

1. Cagsil profile image83
          Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I understand that Richard. I just don't see this as "worthy" news. hmm

1. livewithrichard profile image84
            livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

According to the article, there is a 'media storm' surrounding it so maybe it's not worthy here in the US since it doesn't affect us in the slightest, it's obviously worthy in Europe where it is happening.

2. HattieMattieMae profile image70
    HattieMattieMaeposted 5 years ago

I can see why austria would feel the way it does, as well as Germany. Hitler having any honours anywhere is a disgrace, what little good he done in the world, is nothing compared to numerous lives he detroyed, and the destruction he caused for many Jewish citizens, gays, and other lives that were affected by the disaster he created.

3. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

On the other hand, his new residence is honoring him by modifying it's name to: "Helltler"

4. 0
    Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago

It seems a little late in the day to be doing this, considering Hitler has been dead for 66 years.  I wonder if there is a particular reason why it is suddenly so important.  Maybe the far-right is on this rise and this is meant to send them a messaage.  If not, there must be some other reason why at this point in history, they feel it necessary.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

i thought it was late to revoke his citizenship as well.
    my German family is deeply shamed of this period in history and any reminder brings back pain and bitterness like Richard said.

6. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 5 years ago

Even if Vienna or Hitler's birthplace disowns him, history cannot be erased so easily. The present world setup is the legacy of Hitler only and not the Vienna people. It is a great honour for them to build a great monument in memory of Hitler. No wonder, he destroyed Jewish population and gays, and mentally deranged people. But that was the decision of the Govt of the day in Germany. Hitler enacted laws and his people carried out his instructions.

If such extreme action is an example, why not American President Bush be tried for destroying a lot of Afgan and Iraqi people? What business has America got in this part of the world? Even if he took revenge for destroying the twin towers, how can he enter Iraq, when the perpetrators of the crime was in Pakistan and Afganistan? Why did USA treat Pakistan as an ally even they continue their pin-pricks on America? What prevents them not to destroy Pakistan which breeds terrorists ?

7. IntimatEvolution profile image81
    IntimatEvolutionposted 5 years ago

Typical! Good  to know that American government/elected officials aren't the only ones wasting the publics time and money.  What a joke.  I would be so ticked off if I was living there and this is what my township representation was focusing on...  You cannot tell me that there weren't more pressing issues to work on.