jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Thirf Party for Next Election?

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago

Majority of Republicans Back Third Party for First Time

"Gallup has always found political independents to be most desirous of a third party, and 68% currently are. But right now there is also a significant party gap, with 52% of Republicans favoring a third party, compared with 33% of Democrats.

This is the first time Gallup finds a significantly higher percentage of Republicans than Democrats in favor of a third party. During much of President Bush's term, the opposite was true, with Democrats more likely to favor the formation of a third party."

The poll is from May of this year.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147461/Suppo … -View.aspx

A clear majority of republicans AND an overwhelming majority of independents support a third party suggests to me that conservatives who understand conservatism reject the current GOP platform of gutting Medicare and Social Security for the benefit of the rich who will pay less in taxes.

Conservatives are not in favor of stripping  teachers and other government workers of bargaining rights, they aren't in favor of privatising the EPA, they don't want Wall Street to operate free of government regulation. They majority of conservatives are not racist or islamaphobic. Conservatives support women's rights, if they don't agree with where to draw the line.

If a third party does not emerge in time for the 2012 elections, will that majority who is *usually* loathe to vote democratic, repudiate the teabaggers by voting AGAINST the slate of lunatics the GOP will surely offer?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

I bet if the Populists on the right and the true Progressives on the left were to merge into a viable platform, such a third party would threaten the 'sttus quo' political system. The problem with previous third parties (i.e. Greens, Dixiecrats) had a specific and narrow right or left ideolgy that alienated too many people. A truly enlightening approach to politics and gov't would totally destroy the anti-human system that we currently have.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image84
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

This is likely because all the Paul-fans are jumping into the Republican Party to support him in polls and the sort, and then when asked, they demand a new party.

Watch out Democrats - you're beginning to look like the conservative party!

4. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

To me the Dems have looked pretty conservative for a while. That's why I voted Green in '96, '00, and '04. And in '08, well let's just say I finally got worn out. But a truly feasible right/left coalition to take on the puppets of Goldman Sachs and Bechtel might be just what the nation needs.