Leftists Attacking Rick Perry

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

Governor Rick Perry called upon Americans to pray and fast on August 6th and has invited political leaders to a prayer summit in Houston.
    The freedom from religion organization is suing to prevent this happening saying that it violates the "establishment" clause in the constitution.

I don't see how asking people to pray and fast is "establishing a religious law". In fact the actions of the freedom from religion organization are an attempt to violate the constitution by preventing people from religiously organizing.

The US. Constitution specifically says that no laws can be passed prohibiting the free exercise of religion. The freedom from religion organization is in violation of the first amendment in their attempt to prevent Perry and others from freely exercising their constitutional right to FREEDOM OF RELIGION.

1. bgamall profile image67
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rick Perry is a joke. He has a huge debt and unlike Arnold, lives life to the hilt off the backs of hard working Texans.

1. American View profile image61
        American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bg

Incorrect. We had a buget shortfall of $27 BILLION, Perry made cuts to the 2 year budget and now we only have a $ 4 BILLION shortfall. To bad Washington could not do the same

Despite that, I would not vote for Perry

2. KK Trainor profile image59
      KK Trainorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've definitely gotten the Perry haters going already with your question...I am an actual Texan, unlike the others here who hate my governor so much (they're just jealous they don't live in this great state with a great economy and lots of jobs), and will respond to the actual question you asked.

You were asking about the day of prayer coming up here in my hometown, and of course it's constitutional. There are just a lot of idiots out there who don't want anyone to pray, let alone a public figure. Perry invited anyone who wants to attend, and many will attend and pray right along with him. It's not all about him anyway, he's just the one who suggested it. As you said, the Consitution doesn't say we can't have religion, or that public figures can't worship as they please. It says that no one can establish a state religion. Is that what happens when a governor prays in public? I don't think so. Atheists and other nonbelievers will say it is. Oh well, we'll just have to disagree on this one.

Oh and by the way, having the ACLU protest your event here in Houston is the best way to get more people to attend, so good job guys!

Perry 2012!!!

1. Ms Dee profile image86
        Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, KK Trainor, it is just the religion haters sounding off. Right, the constitution forbids the government from forcing one particular religion or denomination on the populous. Rise up believers and exercise your religious freedom! smile

2. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is certainly ironic that liberal media would have no problem with tearing down the rights of people of faith because it shows that some politicians have a religious preference, and God forbid that preference be Christian.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
          Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you are not getting the part that is actually ironic. wink

1. profile image0

Oh, I see a lot of irony in it, but probably not the irony that you think I think that you are probably thinking, Marrrrk, er, I mean... Evolution guy.

No - I know what you think is ironic. That is not what is actually ironic. But thanks for validating my opinion of your irrational belief system. Caused any wars lately? Hoping for one perhaps? sad I can't remember how many wars the Mormon cult started - was it 2 or 3?

1. profile image0

Do you really want to compare "Mormon wars" to atheist/communist wars, mass murderers, and genocides??? Shall we take a gander at that nasty little black book of communism?
                Not that this has anything to do with a man exercising his constitutionally protected rights.

Awww. Stalin kilt some people therefore it is OK that Christians start wars. lol Not getting the train of logic. lol

Never really understood the argument. Perhaps you could explain to me how the fact that a communist regime killed a lot of people makes it OK that you religionists are warmongers and mass murderers?

Odd you think a lack of belief in your Invisible Super Being equates to being a communist.

Guess you int red the Konstitution either huh? lol

1. profile image0

Well evolution dude, It's a little different when some Mormons are defending their homes as opposed to the ideology of people like, oh, I don't know George Bernard Shaw, or Joseph Stalin.

Of course my Fellow Mormon Joseph Smith once said "One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic." Oh wait, that was Stalin, your fellow atheist. Quite the difference in ethics I would say.

Perhaps the ethics of Atheists can be explained by prominent playwright George Shaw;
                    “ I don’t want to punish anybody, but there are an extraordinary number of people who I might want to kill…I think it would be a good thing to make everybody come before a properly appointed board just as he might come before the income tax commissioner and say every 5 years or every 7 years…just put them there and say , ‘Sir or madam will you be kind enough to justify your existence…if you’re not producing as much as you consume or perhaps a little bit more then clearly we cannot use the big organization of our society for the purpose of keeping you alive. Because your life does not benefit us and it can’t be of very much use to yourself."

3. Ms Dee profile image86

Absolutely constitutional, Onusonus! You are correct.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

you are correct no law has been passed, he has a right to the organising of a gathering and exercise freedoms he has.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem with this rally as long as it's not funded by public money.

1. profile image0

That would be over the line unless the public funds are by donation.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
          I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well if they're by donation there's no need for the funds to be put into public coffers. The donations could just as easily be made to a non-profit religious group that could use the money to set up the rally. Why donate to the government for the purpose of holding a religious rally when you could just donate to those organizing the religious rally directly?

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Why do people like him always have to make a public show of religion, but behind closd doors, ignore every precept?

1. profile image0

I'm not talking about his personal life, or his religious views, I only wish to see that his and every other American's constitutional rights are upheld.

State religion is false religion. He wants to sucker the religious right who fell for Bush's war for oil in Iraq. The religious right was held in contempt by Rove and others who used them for political ends.

I believe in Christ but the religious right is a group of idiots who were taken for the ride of their lives and are now licking their wounds, when they found out they were pawns.

1. profile image0

Are you saying that by suggesting that Americans fast and pray, he is in violation of the constitution? Put your religious differences asside and ask yourself if what he is doing is constitutional or not.
          He is talking about inviting people to gather togeather in Houston to worship God. How is this establishing a law?

1. Ms Dee profile image86

Right, he's not legislating people worship God and pray.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

chris to say that implies you know exactly what he does behind closed doors?  be carefull of that.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK--the policies that come out of his meetings behind closed doors are not Christian, in my opinion.
        Yet--he makes a public stance at being religious.

Pander Bear.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I am so happy not to live somewhere that this would or should be considered a normal thing to do.

If anyone made such an invite in my country only too notorious loons would turn up. smile

4. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

What's he praying about this time? Back in April, he prayed for rain when 10% of Texas was under "exceptional drought." Now 71% of Texas is under "exceptional drought." Maybe if he prays for the opposite of what he wants he'll be more likely to get it. lol

http://i52.tinypic.com/t6xyx0.gif

http://i51.tinypic.com/21ezp3.gif

We don't want a phony Christian like him paying for anything.

1. profile image0

Yeah he should be banned from being able to pray either just based on the preconceived notions that people have about him, He's not Christian enough to have that right. It's really more of a privilege than a right anyway. Oh wait, it's not......

5. kateperez profile image58
    kateperezposted 12 years ago

more of the same is not new.

Freedom of anything is to be afforded to EVERY citizen of the United States, public or private, and anyone who stops the lawful behavior, religious or otherwise, or tries to belittle that person for what they try, is breaking the law in the United States.

By trying to stop Governor Perry, that organization is breaking Constitutional Law, and should be punished.  By making fun of someone for trying anything to stop a drought is just plain mean.  Who really cares what a person thinks of another person?  Should it matter that Governor Perry prayed for rain?  The Native Americans danced for it.  Science tried to seed clouds to make it rain.  What harm did it do to pray?  I'm relatively certain that no one was harmed, and your little graphs, tables and pictures of a red Texas are pointless in this particular conversation.

Point not understood.  And I'm no dummy.  Your point is not applicable to the conversation topic.

1. American View profile image61
      American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK i am impressed. How did you get those maps in the thread. I have wanted to do that several times in other threads

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

The prayers of a hypocrite like Rick Perry are basically worthless.
    I don't know why he wastes his time - one can't be a Christian if they support the state sponsored murder of anyone, and Rick's got a death/murder assembly line going.  What a waste of that hair spray he uses. . . .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)