Boehner and Obama, The Talks . . .

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. AnnCee profile image65
    AnnCeeposted 12 years ago

http://www.laprogressive.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/john-boehner.gif  Get real Mr. President.

I'll hold my breath!
    http://www.anti-christ.com/newspics/obama.jpg

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From CNN http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 … -standoff/

An ABC/Washington Post poll released Tuesday indicates that more than six in ten Americans say any agreement on the deficit needs to include a combination of spending cuts and new taxes. According to the survey, large majorities of Democrats and independent voters support the combined approach, with nearly half of Republicans also in agreement.

An NBC/Wall Street Journal poll also out Tuesday indicates that 58 percent of Americans support the president's proposal, which would reduce the federal deficit by $4 trillion dollars over the next decade by cutting federal spending, increasing taxes on corporations and the wealthy, and reducing the level of spending on Medicare. Thirty-six percent of those questioned say they support a proposal by Republicans in Congress which would reduce the Federal deficit by $2.5 trillion over the next decade by cutting Federal spending and would not raise taxes on corporations or the wealthy.

A CBS News poll released Monday indicates that two-thirds of Americans say any agreement should include spending cuts and tax increases, with 28 percent saying a deal should only include spending cuts and 3 percent saying itshould only include tax increases. According to the survey, there is little partisan divide on the question. More than seven out of ten Democrats and more than two-thirds of independent voters support a balanced approach, as do 55 percent of Republicans and 53 percent of self-described tea party movement supporters.

A Quinnipiac University poll released last week had similar findings. The survey indicated that two-thirds of the public supported a deal that included spending cuts as well as tax increases for wealthy Americans and corporations. Nearly nine out of ten Democrats and two-thirds of independents questioned supported the inclusion of tax increases. Republicans in that poll were divided on the issue.

A Gallup poll Monday asked a different question, but also suggests that Americans want compromise. According to the survey, two-thirds say the people who represent them in government should agree to a compromise plan to raise the debt ceiling, even if it's a proposal with which they disagree. Only 27 percent say they would like their federal lawmaker to hold out for the basic plan they want, even if the debt ceiling is not raised by the deadline. According to the poll, 72 percent of independents, 69 percent of Democrats and 57 percent of Republicans say their lawmaker should agree to a compromise plan.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll support a new tax as soon as every single troop comes home, and we make MAJOR cuts to medicaid and social security.

THEN we can talk about increasing the debt ceiling.

This crap has been going on for decades, and it always results in one thing: more spending and more taxes.

Cut the federal budget in half, and then sprinkle some tax increases in there later.

2. AnnCee profile image65

All these polls and Obama can't come up with a plan of his own?

From The US Constitution

Section 7.

All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

---------------------------------------

The HOUSE has to do this. Compromise is the operative word, and a foreign concept to the Teabaggers who are protecting the money of their masters. The bill they are REQUIRED to originate must pass muster with a majority of the Senate and the President. The House of Represenatives has never been a dictatorship. (until the Tea Party)

The most Obama can do is what he is doing... hosting talks with leaders.

3. AnnCee profile image65

Yeah right, teabaggers are loved by Wall Street.  smile

22 Jul 2011

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_c … onors.html

Read it carefully, Doug, and become informed.

I have been watching the split between Wall Street and Grover Norquist & Company.

Wall Street is in favor of a 'grand bargain' that gets the deficit under control. Even with higher taxes.

IN MY OPINION, the lunatics pulling the strings on the Teabaggers want to repudiate the entire national debt, drive the country into bankruptcy and ruin,  thinking they will be swept into power by the vacuum.

Wall Street is beginning to see that the Tea Party is willing to trash the country for their ideology... economic jihadism.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

$1.6 trillion is money we owe to the Federal Reserve, which is nonsense. They leant us money out of thin air. Ron Paul is right when he says "just default on them. Tell them to suck it up and quit crying that they make money out of thin air".

The rest of the debt will be defaulted on in one way or the other. Unless we cut spending by at least 50%, it will be through hyperinflation.

Start buying gold and start cashing in your US Savings bonds.

2. Danny R Hand profile image59
        Danny R Handposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could it be that they are supporting Obama because he's the only one showing any COMMON SENSE!

2. lovemychris profile image74
      lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Keith Olbermann:

"POTUS said he offered $1 Trillion in cuts PLUS $650 Billion more to Medicare, Medicaid, Soc Security; more draconian than Gang-Of-Six plan

John Of Orange Turns Yellow; Boehner bails out of debt talks. "I've been left at the altar" again says POTUS "What can they say yes to?"

They'll say yes to Obama bowing down and kissing their feet.

1. Stump Parrish profile image59
        Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

What plan did the GOP come up with? Something the majority of Americans disapprove of and that they knew wouldn't make it thru congress. I assume you consider this to be an example of the GOP's efforts to solve a problem, right Ann?

1. JON EWALL profile image59
          JON EWALLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stump Parrish
          ''What plan did the GOP come up with?''
          H.R. 2560 CUT-CAP-AND BALANCE really not to hard to figure out, it's simple made for simple mined persons.the SENATE GOT THE BILL TO THE FLOOR on friday july 22,2011. the dems voted to table the bill by a vote of 51-46.senator reid said the senate would work the weekend to debate thehouse bill,to deny the peoples representatives their say is unforgivable. obama and the senate don't have a plan of their own, wonder why?

check out my latest hub, President Barack Obama and The 112TH Congress
          http://hubpages.com/t/2794d6

2. Stump Parrish profile image59

I would love to see the wars ended and our troops come home. You know as well as I do that there is too much money being made, by too many corporations, that own too many politicians, for that to ever happen. End these two wars, the ridiculous war on drugs, corporate welfare and we have taken care of a large part of our problems.

We had a balanced budget under Clinton, not that long ago. I agree with ending the wars but I'm not OK about throwing grandma under the bus.

1. JON EWALL profile image59
            JON EWALLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Doug Hughes

WAKE UP, CLINTON needed a majority REPUBLICAN controlled CONGRESS  to balance the budget. Clinton didn't do nothing but show up! Remember he left giving BUSH A RECESSION.Try to get by the dem talking points. THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE one day!

Believe what you will about Clinton despite the facts but it was undoubtedly a GOP president (Bush) and GOP Congress that turned the surplus into a huge deficit with tax cuts that were supposed to grow the economy and didn't, and deregulation that was the seed of the recession.

1. DannyMaio profile image59
                DannyMaioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean the deregulation of fanny and freddie by Frank and dodds??? Please doug, stop with the talking points and present real facts! i bet you are very easy to persuade to buy something in a sales pitch!

For anyone with an open mind and the ability to understand numbers and real facts,  these economists explain how deregulation and the banking industry were behind the housing bubble.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/ … risis.html

This is what I do for a living Doug. You do not have to tell me about how it works. You speak about an open mind but only read left wing propaganda. You claim the repubs are trying to throw grandma under the bus, that is an outright LIE! You can not truly believe this nonsense ....could you?

These are facts, which differ from opinions. The voters will decide in 2012 if the Ryan plan throws grandma under the bus. But here is what it factually does.

"The Ryan proposal would give those turning age 65 in 2022 “premium support” payments to help them buy private policies. There is little doubt that the Republican proposal would sharply reduce federal spending on Medicare by capping what the government would pay at very low levels. But it could cause great hardship by shifting a lot of the burden to beneficiaries. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that by 2022 new enrollees would have to pay at least $6,400 more out of pocket to buy coverage comparable to traditional Medicare."

Seniors on a fixed income who can't come up with 6K per year are SOL. Buy what you can and if it won't cover the problems you have, die quietly.

That is not true! First any person 55 or older NOTHING CHANGES!

Second if it doesn't get fixed NOBODY WILL HAVE ANYTHING! It will be broke!

Doug if you owned a business and could not afford to pay employees what happens? You either cut back and try to fix the problem or close!

The people voted last election in November and told the left we do not like your way, what makes you think it will be any different? Obama has done absolutely nothing to better anything! all he does is golf and campaign and LIE! how come when he said in 2006 anyone who raises the debt ceiling means they failed? But it is OK now? The man doesn't have a clue and surrounded himself with all losers! Bill Clinton knew how to operate and did well but this clown is a complete joke! he has had over 2 1/2 years to improve things and all he has done is make things worse!

3. Jonathan Janco profile image60
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

They say they want to end the wars but they still want the military budget to increase. Apparently, those fraudulent defense contractors are not expndable in their eyes.

1. Stump Parrish profile image59

One reason they may not have come up with a plan is that it would have been a complete waste of time. Nothing they offered would be acceptable to the GOP unless the GOP wrote it. The only reason the GOP put together a plan they knew wouldn't pass is for posturing. They can claim that they at least tried. They knew how far the Dems are willing to go and they made sure they exceeded that. That isn't working towards a solution, it's working towards re-election. They demand that the tax cuts they treasure are left in place, show me what good these tax cuts have done for this country. Show me the jobs they created since their passing. Show me how borrowing the money to pay for them didn't contribute to the debt problems. Show me how the 10 billion dollars a monthe we are still borrowing to fight to wars didn't add to the debt before and after Obama took office. Show me something other than posturing and preening for the tea party that has become the GOP plan for solving the problems facing this country. Show me how refusing to approve the funding for the FAA hasn't reduced revenues. Why was this bill not passed? The GOP has made up it's mind that they will dismantle every union it can before they attempt to steal the next election.

I have no interest in a hub that doesn't at least consider that a lot of the recent (10 years) actions of the GOP has contributed to our debt problems. You tell me if that's in your hub and I'll check it out. If it's nothing more that a Faux News propaganda piece I'm not interested.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)