jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

3700 Post offices closing

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

list of the 3700 post offices that are closing mostly in rural areas. I'm glad my po isn't on the list!
    The 3,700 post offices under review for closure include urban centers such as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, as well as small towns from Plymouth, Mass., to Wallula, Wash. The Postal Service is calling them low activity, defined by low foot traffic, average sales of less than $50 per day and less than two hours of work per day. Most are located within five miles of another post office location.

http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-p … telist.htm

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Just bought three stamps the other day. I said I
    want Forever stamps, because I use the mail so seldom, other than Netflix which are prepaid, that I don't know what the price of a stamp is anymore.

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

There appear to be quite a few closing in my state. I guesses it makes financial sense. I use about two stamps a year. I don't get anything other than junk mail anymore. Snail mail is becoming a part of our history.

4. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 5 years ago

We've moved into a rental with a mailbox. Just yesterday my teenage son asked me about mailing things - he said, "Is that what you do? Put something in a mailbox and put that ... that flag up? That's how they know to stop? Huh. I've never done that before."
    It was crazy - I thought back and realized he really HADN'T ever seen that done. My parents go to the post office, we lived in a place before with a multi-unit box with no flags...and once he thought he wouldn't be able to mail something to his cousin because she had no email account yet!

5. 60
    mheriLposted 5 years ago

A lot have been devastated to hear the news, especially for loyal customers who could lose their favorite post office. The United States Postal service has been plagued with monetary problems for many years, and the last few were especially bad. The USPS is considering turning almost 3,000 post offices private, as it is investigating brand-new business models in order to decrease damages. I found this here: 10 percent of all post offices could become private retail mail.

6. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

If a company or organization is unable to make a profit on it's own, there is no reason to keep it running simply to supply government jobs. Our local post office was in the news as they were looking to hire 3 mail carriers at over $20 an hour. Since when is delivering mail worth more money than those who are risking, and losing their lives defending this country? Some people down here are screaming bloody murder because they may only get their junk mail delievered 3 time a week. Millions in this country are demanding that our government reduce it's spending right up until they find out it will affect them. The answer then is spend baby spend. Everyone claims to want our problems solved unless it means they have to deo something differently. This is another glaring example of that so called American exceptionalism that I take exception to. No one's life will end if mail only comes 3 times a week. No one's life wiull end if their local post office closes due to being a drain on our economy. Some people might have to take responsibility for making other arrangements and this is something our government apparently has no right to expect of them.

1. 68
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Stump,
      I agree.
      The only thing I'll quibble with is that technically the postal service is a non governmental agency.  It does not rely on government funding.  It does however borrow money from the government.
      Realistically, they could raise the price 5-10 cents for a stamp and they would probably lose no more business than if they raised it 2 or 3 cents.  I know I would be willing to pay another 10 cents per letter, if it meant I could keep the same level of service.  That would cost me less than 50 dollars a year.  Just wouldn't want it to go to the fatcats running the operation.

working