jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Environmentally Friendly Body Disposal Methods

1. AliciaC profile image96
    AliciaCposted 5 years ago

Have you planned what will happen to your body once you've died? What do you think of these new, environmentally friendly body processing techniques? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14114555

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Alicia,

I believe this thread should be placed under "education and science".Create a new post and then Contact team@hubpages.com and ask them to delete the original post.smile

AliciaCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion, AEvans, but I feel that this is the right category for this thread. The focus of the linked article is on environmental safety. It talks about green body disposal methods, the production of greenhouse gases during cremation, the safe disposal of mercury fillings and metal implants, which can damage the environment, and the recycling of the human body.

2. kerryg profile image88
      kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Body liquefaction would not be high on my list, no. lol

On the other hand, there are some very appealing green burial options available now. Some cemeteries are now offering "conservation burial" which sets aside a small portion of a nature reserve to use for natural burials (unembalmed.)

Another cool one I've heard about is reef balls. Reef balls are concrete structures that are placed in damaged coral reefs to provide a site for coral polyps to take root and start growing. Regular ones are done by a nonprofit, but they have a for-profit branch that will mix your cremated ashes with the concrete. If you love the ocean, it seems like a really beautiful way to go. National Geographic did a video on them awhile back:

AliciaCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is a very interesting video, kerryg!

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 5 years ago

If you really want to be environmentally friendly just have someone place your body in the woods after you die. Animals will eat and your decaying body will provide nutrients to the earth.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kinda what hubby and I are doing, actually! We're donating our bodies to the "Body Farm" in Knoxville. No burial, no cremation.

3. livelonger profile image91
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

I plan on asking my loved ones for a Jewish burial, which is by definition a green one. Simple pine (or even cardboard) box, not even nails are allowed since they do not decay. No embalming unless it's required by law.

They'll appreciate saving money, too. smile

4. AliciaC profile image96
    AliciaCposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

5. Jimformation profile image60
    Jimformationposted 5 years ago

Wow. That's a new one.