How would Ronald Reagan do in the current GOP primary race?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. kashannkilson profile image59
    kashannkilsonposted 12 years ago

Had a debate with a friend today- he seemed to think the current GOP climate has moved to the right of Reagan. Your thoughts?

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ronald Reagan would still be the most popular candidate, he was smart witty and commanded attention. The clowns they have today are not fit to carry his luggage.

2. American View profile image62
      American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He would be way better than what is out there now. He would tear them up in debate. He was well prepared and had a quick wit.

Ron, he would be the one that would put them in there place. Just ask the Air traffic controllers

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your friend. Reagan was much more realistic than the current crop of leading candidates. And Reagan didn't have to kiss up to the Tea Party. Although he resembles Reagan Perry couldn't hold a candle to Reagan in "Bedtime for Bonzo." And Reagan was completely upstaged by the chimp which was quite amazing. (I saw the movie again on TV the other day and watched the whole thing. An amazing chimpanzee.)
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5460239.jpg

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

He would be burnt toast.  The teabaggers would run him out on a rail.

3. kashannkilson profile image59
    kashannkilsonposted 12 years ago

That's funny, looking at your replies, that's exactly what our conversation was like:

He maintained that with the Tea Party, Reagan would be like Hunstman or Pawlenty.

I said almost the exact same thing as Repairguy47, except I replaced the noun "luggage" with something a little more locker-roomish.

I just can't see Reagan cow-towing to a Tea Party. He was from a different, much tougher generation. It seems like he would use a combination of good-natured chiding and tough love to get the Tea Party into step.

kashannkilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Though, I do think it would be hilarious to see Reagan in a debate with Bachmann.

2. American View profile image62

Sad part and most disappointing about Huntsman is he has been way to laid back and acting like he really is not interested. Truly a shame for if you research in depth all the candidates as I have, you will find he is way more qualified than the rest.

http://jonhuntsmangh.blogspot.com/

You know American View, I have done quite a bit of research on all these folks, and I have to say, I'm a little baffled by Huntsman.

If you look at them all objectively, it would seem like Huntsman has the best chance of winning the general election out of all the GOP candidates. He has the right experience, he speaks well to moderate independents and quite frankly has the best chance of pulling over a fair amount of frustrated moderate Dems. 

But where is he? His biggest splash thus far is a one sentence tweet saying he believes in science. Does he have his brother-in-law's kid running his campaign?

Do you think it's just that he has been so passive in his campaign thus far, or do you think the majority or the Republican Party has shifted so far right that a guy like Huntsman is simply too moderate?

I have a hard time believing that the GOP majority has gone that far right. I also don't believe that average Independents lean that far to right, and I know for sure that Democrats Huntsman could reach aren't going to cross lines for Bachmann, Paul, or Perry.

What do you think?

1. American View profile image62

I totally agree. I would vote for Huntsman. I have completly reseached them all thoroughly. His credentials far outshine the others. But like at the debate, he said nothing, he never utilized his time to campaign for himself. He is nowhere to be found and the timer is ticking.

No question he would pull independents when they see how sucessful he hhas been as Gov of Utah. Dmes will go for him because of his strong foriegn policy and he work in the Obama admin, so he shows he can work with all.

Exactly.

And the troubling thing is that while I weigh experience fairly heavily in a political candidate, the fact that he is so apathetic and laid back in his campaigning really troubles me.

I think regardless of political party, we can all agree that the last thing this country needs is a leader with a "laid back, hands off" approach to governing.

This country needs some action. And if he isn't willing to be more active in acquiring the job, how active will he be once he gets it?

2. lovemychris profile image76
            lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What, no credit to Obama for putting Huntsman in his cabinet?
            Guess Obama shares your view on him, huh?
            Guess Obama is not a crazed ideologue either.
            Why--I geuss Obama can work with others too!!!

LMC,

Sorry to disappoint, but I did mention that Huntsman worked in the Obama admin. If anyone has half a clue as to how the system works, Inorder to work in an administration means that administration HIRED that person. That means they ger credit for the hire. Funny that you are looking for credit on hiring Huntsman, well I guess it's because that is one of the few appointmants Obama made correctly.

As far as Obama working well with others, I could show you many examples of how he does work and play well with others, but I think everyone knows based on what is seen, he does not

4. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I think he would be mostly silent during the debates, since he has passed away.
    On the flip side, there would be less chance of making a gaff.

He really wasn't all there during the majority of his second term, yet his popularity stayed high

Too bad some of the others would not be silent

Truly a shame getting alzhiemers as he did, but it does raise interesting questions about his second term. Let's not forget, Voters were not aware about his condition till many years after he was out of ofice. So his popularity remained high. Though I think it will always will remain high even if he had to leave office early due to his illness

2. kashannkilson profile image59

Well, I have to agree Greek One, the whole "dead" thing is a bit of a detriment . But who knows, maybe America is ready for it's first Zombie president.

We did almost elect John Kerry... smile (Sorry, couldn't resist)

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://www.zombiereagan.com/street/bush-safe.jpg

Oh dear God, I just shot coffee all over my computer! That's hilarious! Disturbing, but hilarious!

5. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

WOW!  Zombie Reagan is very popular online, evidently..

http://www.zombiereagan.com/street/goopy.jpg

http://www.seedsofdoubt.com/distressedamerican/images/graphics/Zombie-Reagan-Small.gif

http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/zombie-reagan.jpg

http://sweasel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/reagandraft.jpg

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/political-pictures-reagan-zombie.jpg

http://m.artician.com/pu/QSEEN5D4HFHO5XM45AYZVFFPJDEAHBUA.preview.jpeg

So Googling "zombie reagan"  returns 3.1 million results.

Googling "Jon Huntsman"?

1.5 million...

6. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image61
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 12 years ago

My kinda hub!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5451279.jpg

7. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

So Huntsman says "Obama feels this, and Obama feels that"........
    How does he know what Obama feels??

And the Republicans always say "The American people want".....

I am an American people, and I want NOTHING of what they are selling. So--stop saying it!
    And stop telling us that Liberals are arrogant.....pulleeeze. Look in the mirror.

And I think Reagan would fit right in with this crowd. He is the one, after all, who cut help for the mentally challenged, and said, "We are cutting their allowance".
    Talk about arrogant. And say, when he had his mental problems, he got the best of the best care, didn't he? Err, ahhh....who paid for that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)