jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

And the Garbage Continues

1. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 5 years ago

Blacks Call for Democrat Carson to Resign Over Tea Party 'Hanging' Slam
    Wednesday, 31 Aug 2011 03:56 PM
    By David A. Patten
    A wide spectrum of black conservatives expressed outrage Wednesday at Rep. Andre Carson’s remark that tea party members would like to see black people “hanging on a tree” — and some even called on Carson to resign.

During a speech at a recent caucus event in Miami, the Indiana Democrat said conservative members of Congress would “love to see us [blacks] as second-class citizens,” and “some of them in Congress right now of this tea party movement would love to see you and me . . . hanging on a tree.”

Carson, the whip leader of the Congressional Black Caucus responsible for organizing the black vote in Congress, also alleged that tea party activism stems from Jim Crow racism.

“Some of them in Congress are comfortable with where we were 50 or 60 years ago. But this is a new day with a black president and a black congressional caucus.”

Carson spokesman Jason Tomcsi confirmed that Carson made the remarks.

Timothy F. Johnson, founder of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, said Wednesday that the civil rights abuses and crimes of the Jim Crow era were carried out mostly in regions controlled by the Democratic Party. He decried Carson’s comments as “outrageous, hateful, and desperate,” adding in a statement: “When some Democrats can’t win a political disagreement, they normally resort to race-baiting, which is in itself racist.”

1. Repairguy47 profile image62
      Repairguy47posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I expect this out of the black caucus, they know to get any attention at all they have to be provocative.

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I haven't kept up as well with local politics as I used to.   I'm shocked that anybody would spout such carp.   Not only the black conservatives, but ALL conservatives should call for Carson's resignation!

The Congressional Black Caucus needs to either be dismantled or else start vetting its members and representatives better.  As, actually, all government entities should do.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why on earth would Rep. Carson think that? The signs at Tea Party rallies portraying President Obama as a chimpanzee? Or the current efforts to suppress minority votes?
      Or their belief that the real problem is discrimination against whites in favor of blacks? Or the cuts in expenditures on education, school lunch programs and the like?

1. lovemychris profile image80
        lovemychrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No kidding...I think what he said was right on target.

2. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Could be several reasons Carson might think that.  We all think some things that aren't true, or even if they are, we have the personal integrity to cast those temptation thoughts out of our minds.
        But even more reasons he would vocalize those thoughts---- lack of manners, paranoia, or his own racism.

2. TMMason profile image75
    TMMasonposted 5 years ago

He needs to be tossed right out on his ass.