jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

Gun Raffle

1. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 5 years ago

The Arizona Republicans have gone off the deep end. They are raffling off a Glock Gun equip with case and 3 magazines as a get out the vote effort. I am not saying we do not have the right to posses a hand gun for we do, but raffle a gun? No background check?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Obviously the winner is going to need to have the legal right to own a gun to claim the prize.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Which in Arizona means he has to be breathing, nothing else required.

2. 0
      Longhunterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Seems like the Arizona Republicans are just asking for a lot of fallout over doing something like this.

What's required of someone to buy a handgun in Arizona? Maybe whoever wins must pass a background check before taking possession.

To buy any gun in Tennessee, you have to fill out a form that's then sent to the state for approval. Takes about an hour.

In a raffle, if you couldn't pass the background check, they'd probably draw another name.

3. American View profile image61
      American Viewposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You all had a good question. I checked on it further. This is a gun they already have, it is not needed to be picked up at a gun store. This is the second time they are raffling this gun. The winner from the last raffle did  not claim it. The winner gets the gun and only has to give their name, personal info and proof of who they are like a DL. Unless I was lied to, that is what they said

1. 0

With Tennessee's laws, I'm almost certain this could not be done here without the winner having to go through a background check to take possession.

Can you buy more than one ticket and can people outside Tennessee buy them?

Long,

I have no idea if the raffle is open to people outside of Arizona

1. 0

My bad. I thought you live in Arizona. Texans don't consider that an insult, do they? None was intended.

LOL trust me, with all the guff on this web site, it takes alot to offend me

1. 0

I knew a guy who's farm was on the TN/KY line but if you called him a Kentuckian, there was going to be a fight so I just wanted to make sure.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Maybe like mail order, you must pick it up from a registered dealer that will do the checks for a fee?

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Why a handgun? Folks down here raffle off rifles and shotguns for hunting all the time, but I don't recall any handguns being involved.

4. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago

Raffling off a handgun?! Yep. Pretty stupid!

1. 0

Come on, Paul, where's your sense of adventure?!?!? Just kidding.

In Tennessee, we raffle off AR-15s and I'm not joking.

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
        Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL Not suprised. I have nothing against guns. I'm very good with a rifle and my thing is antigue firearms. My father has his great grandfather's 1808 Harper's Ferry Musket and his 1851 .32 cal S&W revolver that he was issued during the Civil War. Since their invention, pistols have had one purpose in life and that is to shoot people. So raffling off a firearm should have the skeet shooter or hunter in mind, in my opinion. I think a nice rifle or shotgun would be appropriate or in a case where the winner can not legally own a firearm, a cool compound bow or crossbow.

1. habee profile image90
          habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I have to agree with that. With all the hunters we have in South GA, most folks had rather have a gun for hunting.

2. 0

Sounds like you have some great guns but more importantly, great family heirlooms. I have some "antique" guns but they're reproductions. I use them in re-enacting and 18th century trekking.

I agree on the raffle thing. I'm a stickler on the handgun laws. I have my permit to carry and I don't like some yahoo going out doing something stupid. It makes us all look bad.

Also, that AR-15 wasn't being raffled by a political party. It was to raise money to help wounded soldiers. A very good cause.

working