9/11

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)
  1. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I was in a plant hire shop in Northern Ireland packed with Irish - who cheered and celebrated as each event unfolded.  I was not aware that the Northern Irish hated the US so deeply before that.

I was pretty shocked - then I found that many people in much of the world outside the US feels the same.

1. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image93
      Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Recommend1, That is shocking and sad.

I moved this question over to the 9/11 section so this may be deleted.

recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why should it be deleted ?     If you want to celebrate the event then you should be looking at who and what caused this tragedy along with the gung-ho patriotism that accompanies it.   To begin to understand why it happened you should be aware of how the world sees it, not just how it is seen inside America.

1. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image93
          Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't deleting the question, just moving it over.

I have family in Ireland and other parts of Europe and I have lived there so I am aware of the varying perspective on this and other international issues in regards to the opinion of America.  However, Irish people were not the ones that flew airplanes into the towers.  The dynamic behind what happened is more complicated and I am aware of that as well.  We are not celebrating this day we are mourning it.

You said that my response was shocking and sad - and that you had moved the thread so that this one could be deleted.

As to celebrating the day, the constant news flood of pictures and recollections over the last couple of weeks looks totally like celebration, although I can also see the mourning side of it.

My VALID point is that there are many victims of the war on others and its response that the US chooses to call a war on terror.  Bombs, falling buildings, women and children blown to pieces in many places courtesy of America - if the 'remembering' included all of them along with 9/11 it would be less hypocritical and less about Nationalistic jingoism.

1. profile image0
              Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm refraining from saying anything right now except

hogwash and crap.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

“I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world.

We respect your faith. It’s practiced freely by many millions of Americans and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah.

The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself.

The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends.

It is not our many Arab friends.

Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists and every government that supports them.”

You mean - it is not the sinner it is the sin ?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
                  Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll be surprise who said that...

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
                  wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

and you call yourself Uninvited! Well you are invited to any shindig of mine.

Spot on to the point and oh so smart!

1. livelonger profile image87
                    livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I remember this. I thought this was honorable of him to say that.

2. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, there are sick and twisted, hateful people everywhere. The Northern Irish I've had the privilege of knowing wouldn't rejoice over such suffering.

2. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

I can't understand why the Irish would behave this way, especially when it is considered how many Irish Americans there are.  Maybe the Irish were protestants, who were angry that some Irish Americans had in the past sent money to the IRA.

I was in Northern Ireland and the Protestant Irish are painfully aware that the huge American financial support for Catholic terrorists has extended the current troubles far longer than would otherwise have been the case.  From their perspective they have their reason to hate America I would say.

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

NO ONE IS CELEBRATING THIS DAY

IT IS A DAY TO REMEMBER . .TO HONOR . .. TO NEVER FORGET THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2011.

Take your negativity and hatred somewhere else.

There is negativity in the whole situation - nothing I can do about that.

I have expressed no hatred, perhaps in your blind anger in CAPS you failed to notice that I was reporting what I saw and witnessed ?

4. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Here's a link to what appears to me to be a factual, rational account of who was responsible for the 9-11 attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsibi … 11_attacks

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago
  6. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I haven't seen the footage or heard anything about it.  Is it possible the celebrations were in the way of a wake?  I HAVE been to a couple of those that seemed absolutely celebratory. Especially one for a police man killed in the line of duty.  Could it be a cultural thing instead of an anger thing?

I guess you are thinking the strange flag burning event reported yesterday, I was talking in this thread about what I witnessed in Belfast Northern Ireland as the actual 9/11 event unfolded on TV.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True that.  Sorry for misinterpretation.

2. Hugh Williamson profile image75
        Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The last time you posted you were in China. Remember? Given your record of posting questionable "facts" why should anyone believe you now?

The WTC attack was a sick exercise in cowardice - aimed at civilians who were doing no harm to anyone. For you to try to turn it around into some sort of just justified action is also sick.

Let's face it - you didn't witness anything in N. Ireland - you fabricated your story, just as you've done many times in your posts.

Get a life.

1. livelonger profile image87
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not that I am defending him, but he's saying that he was in Northern Ireland 10 years ago, and now (from China) he's watching the flag-burning happening in London on the BBC.

I really wish that all the "well, people have reasons to hate America" discussions wouldn't be happening on the day people are grieving over innocent civilians killed by a group of evil people. Save that for 9/12 when you can discuss these things without trampling over people's feelings (in another thread, hopefully).

And recommend1: be sure that when 7-7 memorials come around, no one here will be saying "well, people have reasons to hate Britain."

1. Hugh Williamson profile image75

This poster has a history of posting anything anti-American, whether it's true or not. Usually it's not.

Posting his garbage on 9/11 is par for the course for this loser.

2. recommend1 profile image61

I guess you don't get out much - but I have already had a life, and that includes being in China now, working in N. Ireland for several years and many other countries around the world including Poland while the Russians were still moving out.  This has allowed me to get a more balanced view of things which you clearly find hard to understand.

If you read the posts you maybe able to understand that I was not attacking anyone or anything - I was reporting what I saw and speculating on why.

My own view is that rather than wallowing in self pity and blind patriotism it is more useful to look at why these things happen - and in that vein it is apt to also consider the other thousands, millions even, who are victims of the so called 'war on terror' and its consequences.

And of course people have reasons to hate Britain, we still do not seem to have learned from our colonialisation period to restrain our hawks either.

As usual, nothing resembling reality here, just your usual anti-U.S. rant which you think you can disguise by blaming your hate on others, the N. Irish in this case.

Because of your repetitive hateful posting history, people tend not to take you seriously anyway. You defend terrorism because the U.S. deserves it?

And you're an expert in world affairs? Sure.

Your motives don't matter - this is 9/11 and your posts are sick.

The only ranting here is yours.  I have never defended terrorism or posted any hate - I do have a history of pointing out hypocrisy, such as your ridiculous fake photo tirade when you decided I was a commie because I live in China.  You made yourself look a fool then and you are doing the same now - trying to make more of my posts than is there is just pathetic rabble rousing.

Your motives are clear - and they say more about your red neck than anything to do with me.

When you have no factual answer, change the subject, hey?
                China is probably now a more comfortable subject for you than your attempt to justify the 9/11 terrorists. 

OK, China...hanging up a poster of Mao in your room doesn't mean you live in China. You've posted so many whoppers, who knows where you live?

My posts of pix of Chinese atrocities in Tibet are accepted as genuine by everyone but you. Just google "China atrocities" and see how many photos show up. Oops, my bad - Google pulled out of China didn't they. Something about Gov't control and censorship.

You parrot the party line so well - you're definitely a supporter of the Chinese military dictatorship. No big surprise there.

I don't believe that the Chinese people would want to be associated with you and your views. Better you leave them out of it.

I don't need to defend myself from your stupid accusations and lies - my posts are there for anyone to see.  You are just another mindless troll.

Getting a bit testy, aren't we?

A sophisticated James Bond type world traveler can only answer with name calling?

Tsk tsk.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)