Michelle Bachmann's Biblical Idol was Gay !???

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Does Michelle Bachmann even read the Bible she quotes so "liberally?"

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/09/mic … homosexual

Michele Bachmann says she's a 21st-century version of Saul's son, Jonathan.
    Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) has a habit of breaking out Old Testament references when she speaks to religious audiences. She has previously compared her (increasingly) small but determined band of followers to the Men of Issachar, one of the 12 Tribes of Israel that helped ward off the Canaanite invasion in the Book of Judges.

But now,the Minnesota congresswoman seems to have picked a new Biblical alter ego; we're not sure she really thought this one through. Via MinnPost, this is what she told the conservative activists at RightOnline last week in June:

"I want to call to mind in remembrance a hero of mine. And he's from ancient Israel. And from history we know, in the recorded annals of time, that this was someone considered more inconsequential, but to me he had an inspiring, powerful story.

His name was Jonathan. And it was in ancient Israel. His father was king. He was the first king of ancient Israel and his name was King Saul."

[Ok so far, but wait... it gets twisted right here...]
    ...Jonathan's mostly famous because of his very close personal relationship with David, with some scholars going so far as to suggest that they might have been lovers.
    Jonathan and David have been cited by gay rights activists as proof that gay rights are biblically enshrined, as well as by Oscar Wilde—at his trial for homosexuality. The Book of Samuel describes the relationship thusly: "The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul." Their friendship led to a falling out between Saul and his son, after Jonathan pleads with the king to stop trying to kill David.

Bachmann, for her part, has described homosexuality as "personal bondage" and a "dysfunction" and alleged that gay marriage is an "earthquake issue" that could shake American society to its core.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is it any wonder that human relationships are so screwed up.  We now equate loving friendships, deeply held kinship between men, with homosexuality?  There can be no loving relationship between men that isn't sexual?  Doesn't that strike you as a perversion of love and male humanity? 

Are all same sex friendships latent homosexual relationships?  If that doesn't strike you as a distortion of "Philia"  For a group that prides itself on its compassion, liberals do tend to twist the world to revolve around race and sex and sexuality.

As a father, I love my sons with all of my heart.  As a friend, I have loved men deeply enough to be willing to trade my life for their safety and to sacrifice for their happiness.

It is a sickness that alters and twists all relationships to be coital.  Is it reasonable to see all relationships in this way.  Johnathan loved David - now that is homosexual, because of a deep and loving kinship.  Or Abraham Lincoln is homosexual because he preferred male to female company or because the death of a close friend shook him deeply.  Or Jesus' love for John proves his homosexuality.

It is a sickness that alters and twists all relationships to be coital.(worth repeating)

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
        Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bachmann is nuttier than fruitcake. Her and Palin need to team up and form a comedy duo.

2. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Um, given some choices she's made in her personal life (>ahem!< choice of husband >ahem!<), I'm going to leave that one alone. tongue

Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The last line of the article suggests Bachmann should have stuck with Job.
      Knowing Bachmann she would likely mispronounce it as JOB (as in the one thing teenagers need most -- jobs!)

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

What a bunch of Secular Humanist Homo-agenda BS.

4. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

Somebody should send her the link to some Bible slash just to blow her little mind.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I don't believe David and Jonathan were lovers. And I'm NOT taking up for Bachmann!

How immoderate of you.  Isn't it homophobic to assert that hair brained theories of homosexual activists are just that, hair brained?  Moderates shouldn't be homophobic or they might get a good talking to by their moderate brethren/sistren.  You might lose your beige card and have to take a brighter and therefore more assertive color.  I would recommend blue.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please. She just said that she didn't think they were lovers. There's a lot in the Bible that is vague and open to interpretation.

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, LL. I believe men can be very close and love each other without having homosexual tendencies. Our society is so homophobic that a lot of straight guys won't show much affection to other men, even when they might want to. We women are lucky in this regard. I'm a very "hands-on" person, and I'm also very affectionate. I can hug and kiss my girlfriends on the cheek without anyone's thinking I might be (oh, horrors!) gay.

1. livelonger profile image87
            livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's true. Men tend to be far more insecure about those things, although those that are really, really defensive about it tend to be closeted gay men themselves.

Women couldn't seem to care less, maybe because women tend to not think lesbianism is something worth getting your panties up in a bunch over. tongue

With respect to David & Jonathan: there is a lot about the language used in the Hebrew Bible that even modern Hebrew speakers (and scholars of the Masoretic texts) find vague. My own JPS Bible has tons and tons of footnotes of what it literally says, and the editors' best guess as to what it means.

The sociological and cultural milieu in which the oldest books of the Bible were written changed very little over the centuries, Jews at the time of Jesus probably had a much clearer notion of context and meaning than we do now, without footnotes and research.

Reading Chaucer or Dante or Cervantes is very different, and difficult, compared with reading Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammet.  Time and distance count far more when they are cultural than geographic.

And reading Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammet is very different and more difficult than reading "The Pet Goat."

It's really too bad the OT authors didn't have Twitter. Think of all the many footnotes and interpretations that would have avoided! lol

Wow, really "The Pet Goat" reference, is that funny?  I am having trouble finding anything funny about September 11th, 2001.

The particular reading matter was, in itself, funny.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
            Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your right on habee. I've never heard before of anyone suggesting Jonathan and David as homosexual either.

1. kerryg profile image83
              kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Thy love was wonderful to me, passing the love of women"

I'm not saying I believe it myself (though I personally wouldn't be surprised either way), but it's a pretty common assumption. lol

1. habee profile image92

I know about the common assumption, but I don't think "love" has to mean sex.

1. kerryg profile image83

Oh, of course not! Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

On the just friends side of things, love doesn't have to mean sex.

On the just "friends" side of things, it's pretty clear from later events that David was rather oversexed, so I could totally see some same-sex hanky panky going on behind the lines during the war, when you've got a bunch of horny young guys stuck together with no woman in sight. If he actually loved the guy he was hanky-pankying with, then I consider that a credit to him, not a stain on his character or "cheapening" of their relationship at all. ~shrugs~

1. habee profile image92

Oh, I agree, and I wouldn't think any less of Jonathan either way.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
                rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

your comment made me read the entire account again. King Saul definitely makes a rather pointed remark to Jonathan in 1 Samuel 20:30. Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the perverse rebellious [woman], do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion, and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?
                Woman is in italics which means it was added.

I think in reading the entire account, I wouldn't rule out a gay relationship.
                Why not? I'm sure the courts had a fair share of homoerotic escapades.

When sons turn gay it's always the fault of an overbearing (or in this case, perverse and naked) mother! lol

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

lol

2. kerryg profile image83

LOL

3. rebekahELLE profile image85

I agree Holle. I think Jonathan respected David highly and the same for David -  they had a bond, but not anything more than deep love and admiration for each other. From what I know of the story, Jonathan knew of his father's plan and helped save David. If true or metaphorical, it implies great love and commitment in their friendship.

My sons greet their guy buddies with touch, not always a hug, but there's some form of touch. When I greet my gal or guy friends, it's always with a hug/kiss.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

Tweaking the nose, is that biblical?  Unknotting panties, is that biblical?  Sarcasm and mocking, are those biblical?  Just wondering.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Michelle Bachmann's Biblical Idol was Gay !???"

Another one I'm tired of seeing. Tough town the internet. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)