jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

British School Bans Makeup and Mirrors

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/19/bri … at-vanity/

British School Bans Makeup and Mirrors to combat vanity.

Teenage girls at a British secondary school have apparently become entranced by their own heavily made up reflections.
    In order to prevent female students from spending school hours primping in the bathroom, Shelley College, a co-ed public school in northern England, has barred students from wearing make-up and spending time in front of the mirror.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/19/bri … z1YVMZ8oqW

I think this is a step in the right direction.

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Call me old fashioned, but girls wearing make up to school! No way.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Come on John, lighten up. A bit of mascara never hurt anyone!

2. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think it's a great idea.  I'm all for no makeup, manditory uniforms, and no co-ed schools because makeup, clothes, and boys are all distractions.

3. recommend1 profile image72
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can agree that makeup and mirror glue may be an issue -

but I cannot accept that schools are empowered to interfere in the private matters of students.  The mandate for our schools is to educate, not impose outdated and questionable values on my kids, that is my job if it is anyone's.

During the period my kids were at school I would have taken this up with the school board as being out of the schools' jurisdiction.

I was a total pain in the @ss for our local village primary school over this and many other liberties taken with my kids, including getting our headmaster replaced after two years of being absent on 'sick' leave, getting a teacher replaced who managed to teach the kids backwards so that they left her year less educated than when they went in.   I also reorganised the fundraising activities to increase the cash raised from less than 100 pounds to over 1000 pounds - mostly by preventing the previous organisers taking the money for 'expenses'.

This school should be glad my kids are over 30 and not at their school big_smile

2. Polly C profile image88
    Polly Cposted 5 years ago

Teenage girls have been wearing makeup to school for years - when I was at secondary school in the mid eighties it was all heavy blue mascara and eyeliner, plus heavily hairsprayed fringes that hung so low you could hardly see some girl's faces. (I burned mine on the bunsen burner in science once!).

The point is that girls being obsessed with their appearance at school is not a new thing, even though it might not be ideal.