jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue talks about suspending elections.

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue talks about suspending elections. Is she serious?
    Would members of Congress be more productive and more bipartisan if they weren't concerned about re-election every two years?
    It's a thought that's crossed the minds of many voters as well as House members, many of whom have complained over the years about non-stop campaigning.
    But Bev Perdue, the Democratic governor of North Carolina, said it out loud Tuesday.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/nort … 23133.html
    Gov.Bev Perdue thinks that election campaigns are interfering with work because politicians are more concerned with getting reelected than on the work at hand...what do you think?

1. 0
      Hubertsvoiceposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think that if they would concentrate on doing their jobs and not on the elections their chances of being re-elected would greatly improve.
      The idea of suspending elections is the same as throwing out the Constitution and having the 50 kingdoms of North America. Politicians who think that elections should be suspended are not thinking of the people they represent. They are interested only in their own power over the people, not power of the people. Politicians are servants of the people not the other way around. Politicians that do not realize this are not fit to hold office in a country like this. They need to go run for office in Venezuela or Cuba or other countries that don't like term limits.

2. Moderndayslave profile image60
    Moderndayslaveposted 5 years ago

I think we should fire all legislators and figure out how to vote on issues directly from our homes. Say 1 vote from one legal Social security number.This needs to be done securely and without a means of corruption. Just think no partisan bickering, no corruption, lobbyists favors or political favors.Just think they can do it for American Idol ,why not us?.Bills and issues don't have to be spelled out in " Legalese" to confuse or disguise ulterior motives.Yeah,we can suspend elections.

3. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I haven't read the link, but it seems to me that it's the long campaigns that are the problem, not the elections themselves.  I don't know whether there's any possibility of severing the two.  After all, if a challenger is unknown, they have to have some way to get their message out to the people, and it would be only fair for the incumbent to be able to rebut that message.

Maybe what's needed is some sort of restriction on the time period when campaigns can take place.  With the instant availability of almost any kind of information now, we should not have to hear campaigning for eighteen months as may have been necessary in horse-and-buggy days.