Is the GOP's flirtation with Perry over?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (49 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

The latest polls show Romney back in front, with Cain a surprising third, almost up with Perry.

1. BillWest165 profile image57
      BillWest165posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's too soon in the process to say. There may even be new candidates in the race. I wouldn't write him off yet.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could be right, but that last debate had to hurt Perry. Do you think more conservative voters would like Romney better if he chose a more conservative running mate, like Cain or Rubio?

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully people will see that Perry is another Bush and drop him like a hot potato!

1. habee profile image92

You know, Paul, I can close my eyes while listening to Perry, and his voice even sounds like Bush's!

2. Joe Badtoe profile image61
      Joe Badtoeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

it's clowns performing at a circus audition - Perry is Palin without glasses and interchangeable breasts

3. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know I am so surprised by the media commentary on Cain's success in the polls, I think some comments might come back to bite them on the hiney.  I've liked him every time I've heard him speak, and in know way do I think it is a fluke of sorts that he won the Florida straw poll as well as coming in first on another poll done shortly afterwards.  As for Perry, I think he's coming off somewhat stiff and dorky, someone should shorten his shirt collar, or he should just go sports wear or something smile in the debates.

1. habee profile image92

Cain seems "real." That's prolly because he isn't a career politician.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He's "flavor of the month" and has as much chance as the other far-right candidates.

The choice is crystal clear to anyone who understands politics, especially the electoral college system.  You get Obama or Obama light in the end.  The fringe candidates have zero chance.

1. KFlippin profile image60

Regarding Cain, the same could have been said about Obama at this stage of the game.....too bad it really is a game to folks of power and influence...I don't think Cain is the flavor of the month, I think Habee is right, he doesn't respond to questions from a career politican's viewpoint, and for that matter neither did Palin who was so initally beloved by conservative voters.

Cain also has more personal charisma, which is highly important to any political race, than all the candidates, IMO.  I do think Michelle Bachman could bear the title of 'flavor of the month' a while back.  I only had to listen to her voice for one debate to know she was out the door.  She needs to go away NOW to give more time to the others, so does that New Mexico dude. The simple fact that Bachman repeated unsupportable comments on the HPV vaccine issue is enough to know that she is not ready to be a POTUS.

The electoral college system is so irritating - someone should ask Cain if he would consider throwing it out.  The majority of the population is conservative, but we are being run by the highly populated areas that need government assistance to stay in their preferred baliwick (sp?) for the next several generations to come.  There is lots of country still out there in the good old US of A - a little hard work involved and no McD around the corner...........

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Someone needs to write a hub to help non Americans understand American politics

1. habee profile image92

I'm not sure there's enough memory on computers for that hub!!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lmao !!!!!!!! Your prolly right Habee, there may be not enough memory for a series of Hubs either

2. Joe Badtoe profile image61
      Joe Badtoeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

US Politics - Run by Big Business via subsidiaries called politicians Inc Votes are optional and rarely accurately counted. Elections pre determined by promise of tax reduction for wealthy and punishment for those who oppose. Sweep the poor under the carpet and trample over democracy. Any international disagreement of this will result in war. Voila! US politics

3. lovemychris profile image74
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I skimmed a headline yesterday that said the Koch brothers want Christie to go for it....so he may be the new Golden Boy.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christy should be a poster boy for Michelle's anti-obesity, healthful diet campaign.

1. habee profile image92

That was mean, Ralph. Why the personal attacks? "Fat-ism" is just as bad as racism.

And old, near-sighted, white guyism.  That is the worst ism of all. mad

4. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

It's already been decided: Mitt Romney wil be the nominee.

You'll see the other nominees implode soon enough (they're already sinking Perry), and then Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, Rush Limbaugh, and all the right-wing blogs will unanimously sing the praises of Romney. And then all the Republicans who said they'd never vote for Romney, never vote for a Mormon, etc will all fall in line.

And Obama will win reelection handily.

1. habee profile image92

I know you're not including me here - I never said I wouldn't vote for Romney. I've always said Romney and Huntsman were the two most sensible GOP candidates. It's the far right who doesn't like Romney - not the moderate Republicans. I just hope the GOP nominates at least a fairly moderate candidate and not a TP-er. I'm really hoping that Palin doesn't jump in.

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope smile - I was talking about the GOP kingmakers and the "Tea Partiers" (far right). The latter will very quickly rally around Romney, even though they're bitching about him now, when Fox News tells them to.

2. KFlippin profile image60

I think Michael Moore has now said he could go for Huntsman, that's enough for me to know he ain't the right one and he needs to just go bye-bye..... smile  I agree, I don't want Sarah Palin to jump in here, surely she knows it would be a mistake.  Hope her team does 'google alerts' and keeps up with sentiment that she should not run.

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It wont really matter who runs against Obama, he will lose and lose big. It may not even be Obama. Its a long shot but Hillary might be the nominee, I thought I would never say this but she looks and sounds more presidential than he does. He's done one way or the other.

Hope springs eternal.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59

Yes, I'm sure you hope like hell I'm wrong, but you know I'm not.

Are you begging Chris Christie to join the race like just about every other Republican is?

Let's face it - even the Republicans know all the candidates stink.

Chris Christie will run or he wont. Obama loses against the Republican candidate. You will lose the house too.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

What polls are you referring to?  I think as of yesterday the news was that even though he's looked like a complete moron in the debates, he was still the Republican favorite.

I agree with your take on Romney and Huntsman.  I don't think they'd be able to follow through on their promises to dismantle the health care act; and otherwise they seem pretty centrist compared to the rest of the Republican candidates.

I just saw a poll that indeed indicates that Perry is sinking like a stone, ala Michele Bachmann.  There was a bit of lag time for his buffoonery to have a measureable effect.

Maybe the SNL sketch helped. smile

2. habee profile image92

That poll doesn't show Romney leading, it shows Perry up by 4 points with Romney getting closer. Am I missing something?

1. habee profile image92

Look at the LATEST poll - not the average.

Your talking about the latest FOX poll right?

6. lovemychris profile image74
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

My kind of Repubby: Buddy Roemer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8T845Vh1jw

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  I first saw him on Jon Stewart's show.  A principled, sane conservative running for President who can't get invited to a debate.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

It would be a mistake to believe that blacks would vote for Cain who spearheaded a drive against raising the minimum wage when he headed the fast food restaurant association or someone representing a party that is engaged in a concerted effort to suppress the black vote, or a party dedicated to protecting a Wall Street dedicated to f**king the poor rather than the interests of Main Street.

Blacks would vote for Cain.

They are much smarter than you think. How about Perry? Think they'll vote for this strutting, gun toting Texan?

Blacks would vote for Cain, and what makes you assume I think they lack intelligence?

Wrong. Because they have the intelligence to support the Democrats on the issues that benefit them. This has been true in every election since the sixties. Also, the GOP "Southern Strategy" alienated most blacks in this country.

I'm glad to see a democrat admit that the democrats have done all they could to buy the Black vote. Democrat is a vile and disgusting party that seeks to keep the Blacks from ever getting ahead with their slave policies.

If A choice between Perry and Obama they would vote for Obama. Choice between Obama and Cain would wind up splitting their vote. I don't know many non gun toting Texans.

2. KFlippin profile image60

Nice try......nice baseless try.  Wall Street got its debilitating power from the actions of Dodd and Frank dating back to the Clinton Administration at a minimum, and certainly many many many libs profited hugely from Dodd and Frank regs.......Wall Street would profit from the the empowerment of Main Street and their 401K's - it is like a dirty secret -- for libs, that only the continuation of Main Street capital gains sees the continuation of the whole of Wall Street in the long run. 

As for Cain, your comments leave me speechless, they tell me you are somewhat afraid of a Cain ticket............

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Back to the OP.
    Flirtation w/Perry ended when it came to actually swapping spit with the guy.
    Ew!
    He's like Bush on steroids.

I have to agree with Repair Guy. Hillary is sounding a lot more presidential than Obama. But then, she always did and should have been.
    Hope springs eternal and hindsight really is 20/20.

1. habee profile image92

Agree, agree, and agree.

9. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Habee,
    Let's make a pact.
    We will continue posting on the HP political forums until we get
    a CENTRIST, COMMON-SENSE, NON-IDEALOGUE POTUS.
    We may be rocking in our chairs with gray hair and wrinkles -- but I sincerely hope it happens
    in 2012 -- if not for sure 2016!!
    Your friend in the center of sanity,
    MM

1. habee profile image92

Sounds like a plan! I would vote for Hill, Huntsman, or maybe Romney. Obama is too left for me, and most of the GOPs are too right. I'm really impressed with Cain as a person and as a businessman, but I need to learn more about his stand on social issues. The GOP needs to get off the conservative social issues pony and stick to being financial conservatives. When people are huring financially, who cares about gay marriage and gays in the military?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who cares about them even when they're NOT hurting financially? smile
        In the grand scheme of HUGE issues in our country, those are just so crazy.

1. habee profile image92

I don't care, but it seems to be a big deal with some on the far right. I think people should pretty much be allowed to do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)