jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)

Confront your childhood bully

1. MissJamieD profile image81
    MissJamieDposted 5 years ago

If you could confront a childhood bully, whether they bullied you or someone you know, what would you say?

1. Johnjfernando profile image59
      Johnjfernandoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't pick a fight because then, I never really grew up but, calling a truce or re-acquainting each other and then jibe about being bullied by would soften the past issue. I not really someone who gets mad when I want to, I can get even. I think it utter ignorance to continue something that spawned in childhood to life later on.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I did this already and I took a baseball bat to his leg. He wore a cast for the next three months, I was applauded by my peers and got detention for 1 week.  Ooooops I guess being a bully doesn't pay.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I would assume we are both adults now and either let the whole thing go or talk it over.

3. Greek One profile image82
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

just two words....

'JUMP IN'

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Nothing.  It happened 40 years ago and about 39 years ago I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure what I would say but I would interested to hear what they had to say. I have this idea that my biggest bully was hurting himself having lost his father. I had the pleasure of making a friend later in life, and we got to chatting about bullies, she said she had been the bully. I told her I had been bullied during a difficult time in my life, with family problems and such. On behalf of bullies in generally she said she wanted to apologise by proxy, she had herself been having bad family problems and dealt with it by bullying. We both thought it was pretty cool to have bridged that gap in our friendship and agreed it was pretty cool to have grown up and over that sort of stuff.

6. MissJamieD profile image81

Let me rephrase my questIon: if a bully was picking on your child or grandchild, what would you say to them?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would decide which adult to approach, their family or the school principal. Not much to be gained from trying to reason with or intimidate a child bully, and generally a bad idea to have anything to do with any child without involving their parents.

7. 0
    Wentworth35posted 5 years ago

I was bullied decades ago, and it is of no significance to me today.  Most people do not let such experiences take over their lives.  The memory of those days is so distant now.  However, I did once notice on Facebook that the person who bullied me is listed as attending the same school as me, and I did have a look at his profile out of curiosity.

8. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Been there, done that. It's been over for an awfully long time now. lol

9. MissJamieD profile image81

Okay, what if your child was the bully? And don't say that you're too good to raise a bully, I sincerely want to know what reasoning you would use with your own child as a bully??? That is the point I've been trying to make, I have a hard time forming my thoughts into words apparently. I guess the deep root of this question is, are parents taking the time to talk to their kids about bullying either as the perpetrator or victim. It's true that later in life our childhood bullies do not affect us anymore, but for kids that are severely bullied, those affects can hold a dark veil over their teens and twenties.

10. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

It's probably common knowledge that bullies have  low self esteem issues, so if it was my child, I'd attempt to understand the causes and work on them; while helping them learn some compassion and empathy. I would hope, given the opportunity of understanding how truly horrible it makes someone feel to be bullied, my child would change their behavior patterns.

If that failed, I'd find counseling for them.

I have no idea how I would handle them being bullied.

11. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Jamie,

I've written two separate hubs which would give you an explanation for why there would seem to be a rise in children being bullied.

The name of the hubs are as followed: Do realize these are contributing factors.

What Happened To Honesty and Accountability?
    What Happened To Moral and Family Values?

Because of these things not being taught to most children nowadays via parents, and the fact that society itself is soft, due the another hub I wrote "How Political Correctness Speech Damages Society", it's making society worse.

Bullies are created from ignorance(stupidity).

12. MissJamieD profile image81