jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Streaming Material May Mean Jail Time

1. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7b82AylGcg

The above link provides a video where a bill is trying to be passed a bill to send people to jail and fine them if it is found that they have streamed copyrighted material by playing video games on the internet, download material seen as copyrighted and the bill goes to indicate that the owner of the copyright material need not approve or disapprove this action as the government will determine what action will be taken.

Anyone ever here of oppressive government?

The Anonymous person or persons might be providing some good or interesting information but I'm bother that they remain in the dark because one doesn't know who they're reall dealing with-organizations like ACLU.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm.  Does that mean that someone that downloads our copyrighted hubs without our permission and then publishes it somewhere else could go to jail?

That would certainly make me feel bad that a thief got jail out of it.

SpanStarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess we don't have to take this seriously but if someone for a school project download some material not realizing it was copyrighted and they happened to be in your family then that family member could possible be visited in jail.

Well, I don't know.  It has been many years, but plagiarizing was not permitted when I went to school - I assume it is still being taught as a no no. 

While jail time is just a little excessive for a school kid, we all know very well it is illegal and wrong to steal someone else's work.  Even decades ago when music was copied onto cassettes or movies onto VHS tapes we all knew it was wrong although many simply didn't care.

No one is talking about steal that I see but the video if you looked at said just playing video games is a violation and when it comes to stealing other's works then we have been doing so for a long time by using other's quotes with out acknowledging where they came from or paying roylaties for using them so we've been stealing for a very long time now.

No, a properly attributed quote is not stealing.   

Playing a video game that you didn't buy by getting it from a thief on the net is stealing, however, as is downloading music or videos that are copyrighted and not intended to be free.

But yes, we have been stealing for a long time now; ever since we were able to copy someones work onto our own media.  It is a matter of ethics and integrity and the American public has gone so far down the wrong branch of that road that it is generally accepted that such stealing is perfectly OK.

Actually were are suppose to get permission froim the author to use the things we do from the author.

A few years back it was told over the airways that if were where listening to music over the radio we should be paying the radio station so they can pay the authors and how many millions of people have done that and for how many years did these artist not  get paid?

It looks like our hands hasn't been clean for a very long time.

working