jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Safety for patients and nurses

1. 60
    MissLo2007posted 5 years ago

How do you feel about the new bill that is trying to be passed, which would make it illegal to fight for nurses to fight for safe staffing for their patients?

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

3. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I'm thinking you mean that nurses won't be able to strike in order to have the right to set nursing staff levels?  Is that it?

4. 60
    MissLo2007posted 5 years ago

Sorry that was posted a little backwards, the new bill is saying that nurses would not be allowed to argue for the safe amount of patients for a certain amount of nurses. For example the hospital that I work at, I work on a 18 bed unit (we can only hold 18 patients). This unit is also an intensive care which contains almost all patients that are on some form of live saving measures such as ventilators. For units such as these the maximum amount of patients alotted should be 2 patients to 1 nurse. Nurse staffing on our unit is very short at the current time and at any given time we could have up to 3 or even 4 patients which is unsafe because these patients need lots of attention. This bill would prevent nurses from asking our bosses and higher hospital employees for additional nursing staff during these high census times. Nurses would just be given the patients and have to care for them or they would lose their jobs that's how it is starting to work at my hospital.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So you're saying that government is now stipulating how business does business?

It doesn't make any sense for government to get involved with what employees say to their bosses.

5. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I agree with Cagsil that government generally has no business interfering with communication between employees and employers.

At the same time though, nurses should not be able to strike, shutting down necessary facilities for public safety (the hospital) in order to set staffing levels.  That is the job of the hospital (administration staff), not the employees (nurses). 

At the same time, I think that nurses generally have a better idea of what is actually needed in the way of staffing and they are not concerned with costs.  Is there no other avenue available for change?  No agency overseeing hospitals in general for patient safety?  No way to go public with your problems?