jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Kiva lending

1. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

I just made my first Kiva loan.

I can't really afford to throw away money right now, but I am so disgusted with the state of the world that I HAVE to start doing something.

The specific loan I started with is right here: http://www.kiva.org/lend/347243 (it may be funded by the time you see this - it had only $250.00 to go a minute ago).

I joined Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists and the Non-Religious http://www.kiva.org/team/atheists, which is one of the biggest (possibly THE biggest), having loaned over $5 million so far..

You can join any Kiva group you want or not even be part of a group if that's the way you want to roll.  There are religious groups, non-religious groups, geographical groups and yes, there is a Team Hubpages:  http://www.kiva.org/team/hubpages

Make a difference. $25.00 is all it takes (well, $28.75 with a tax deductible donation to Kiva included).

Remember, this is not charity - these are loans. The money goes from you to a local Micro Finance lender or bank to the person who needs it. You might not get paid back, of course, and these are very poor people you are loaning to, so the risk is high, but whatever happens, you are helping.

Can you help us finish off the funding for that loan or move on to the next?

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I see that the loan is already filled!

I think any benefits outweigh any risks and you aren't lending money for armaments or other such killers.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  And you may very well get paid back with intrest and be able to use that money to help more people.

2. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

I had been a lender to prosper.com until it had to shut down for accounting reasons and now doesn't allow anyone from my state to loan money.
    Kiva is something I have read about and may join.Good to read your review

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I set up a Hubpages team a while back, please join.

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

UW, that is so cool. I didn't know that.

For others who'd like to see the amount loaned:

http://www.kiva.org/community?queryStri … anedAmount

2. Pcunix profile image89

Isn't that the one I linked to above?

I can't do more than one - my income is down 50-60% and expenses keep going up.  Even scraping up $25 isn't all that easy, so I'll stay with the big guns for now.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Lol, so it is...sorry

1. Sally's Trove profile image98
          Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yup, same info, just a different presentation on the same site. Guess I don't thoroughly read what you write, Pcunix. smile

2. Pcunix profile image89

By the way, I have to caution people as to how they interpret that.  I had someone who is a neighbor here approach me, saying that they had read about my difficulties at a Google Plus post and wanted to help me..

I had to explain reality.  I used to do VERY well.  No, not the "1%" territory, but very well.  So yes, my income is down a lot , but we are far, far from the poverty I see in those people asking for micro loans.

I don't need any help.  I may not have the discretionary spending power I once had, but we still live pretty darn high on the hog.  We still buy food at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes, I just bought a $1,200 computer - we are pinched but far from wounded.

Maybe that's TMI, but I do want to be honest about it.    We may feel "tight", but we are still living very, very well.

working