jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)

The State is the 1%

1. Evan G Rogers profile image81
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

Here's an article that kind of highlights the logic behind how the Tea Party and OWS are similar:

They both hate the bloated Mercantilist state.

http://mises.org/daily/5776/The-State-Is-the-1-Percent

The STATE is the 1%

2. Daniel Carter profile image92
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

The State may embrace the 1% percent idea, but in reality how well is that working for them? Most governments around the world are bankrupt or nearly bankrupt.

Yes, parasitic they are. On the premise that collecting revenues is for betterment causes of the population. This is a two-edged sword, really. What sort of system should there be if this one is corrupt as well? Should every individual be on their own? If so, then it destroys the ideas of community purpose and living.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image89
      Mikel G Robertsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey! good to see you again!

I have a hub I'd like your opinion on it poses a possible solution, to this social situation. (trying very hard not to self promote)

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

What a lot of gobbly gook. Beats me. Must be a libertarian.

4. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Yesterday I read an article about what amount of money puts an individual into the "1%" - it is a lot less than some of us (including me) realize.  At this date in 2011, it only takes roughly $350,000 annual income to put someone into the One Percent.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I asked in another thread for a definition of the 1%(or definition of rich) . To me, the 1% is the richest one percent globally, not nationally. If $350,000 is the annual income of the 1%, then, maybe, the protesters should be aiming at the .01%, or the multibillionaires.  I think that's who the protesters are aiming at. IMHO

1. Aficionada profile image94
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think that what you are saying is very insightful - that is, as we personally try to define what the terms mean, we may come up with a non-factual definition. 

It would be appropriate and helpful (IMO) for the protestors to revise their slogan.  Even if they aim at multi-billionaires, that will include people like Oprah Winfrey.  I heard statistics recently which indicated that in the (currently defined) 1%, only a very small percentage actually work in the area of finance.

No, I agree, in another thread I suggested that if new tax laws were to be implemented they should include celebrities. They should be inclusive. Corporations do not necessarily work in the area of finance though. I think a definition would be really helpful, for the cause, and for the specifics of the movement. I don't think the mega rich should pay more than others, just their fair share, as a percentage of income.

5. knolyourself profile image60

I think they put it like this:
    "42 percent of financial wealth is controlled by the top 1 percent."

Thanks Knolyourself smile That also brings me back to another question I asked. How much wealth do the 1% create, and how much do they hawk on the wealth creators?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image81
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not financial wealth. That would be a mistake.

A lot of that "Wealth" is capital goods.

If you were to kill Bill Gates and divvy up his loot, a lot of people would end up with screws and nails. Maybe a hammer.

6. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I was on twitter early today and a senator tweeted out an interesting stat-

400 of America's richest families made more in one year's time than 150 million other families. hmm

I actually don't have a problem with that. Providing that exploitation was not involved in accumulating their wealth, and they pay the same percentage of tax that others do.

7. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

@Hollie - I'm all for fairness!

@Evan - I scanned the linked article and found it quite interesting.  Sorry that we've been assuming the 1% in the title of this thread means the same as the OWS slogan!

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Evan has trouble differentiating between things. He loves to be unclear in his statements. lol

In this case, he posted a link to an article in which the writer said that actually those who run everything (the 1%) are the government workers at the federal level.  It was not Evan who was unclear in this situation.  I'm guessing that most of us who are posting in this thread have not really read the linked article.

That still doesn't change the fact that Evan does post things in the forums, just to get a rise out of people, by twisting things. wink

Hmmmm.  I've noticed that he's not the only one who does that.

wink

I'm sure. I've seen plenty of people do it. wink

2. Evan G Rogers profile image81
            Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Whatevs.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I'm sorry Aficionada, but I've just read the link again. It is completely partisan, without any substance or credible evidence. Complete and utter distortion. Like you, I'm also for fairness. This link is quite insulting, to those who are willing to examine evidence. There is none.

8. knolyourself profile image60

"How much wealth do the 1% create, and how much do they hawk on the wealth creators?" They own
    things. Some families in America own whole counties. Might say they rent everything. This creates wealth for themselves. If you rent a storefront you may create wealth without having to build the infrastructure. Course they can run
    you out by raising the rent.

Are they hawkers smile Me thinks so.

working