1. Charles James profile image85
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

The News of The World paid for two Manchester lawyers who were both acting against NoW on phone tapping breach of privacy cases to be followed. They hoped to find evidence that the two were havibng an affair. They could then use this to damage the lawyers.
    In pursuance of this the man's wife and daughters were videoed while out shopping and all were repreatedly tailed. The male Manchester lawyer described this behavior as "Mafia-like tactics".

How could people working for Mr Murdoch think this to be acceptable behavior? Are there any USA or Australia parallels?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think the people working for Murdoch knew this wasn't acceptable behavior, hence, all the lies and attempted cover ups. It sounds like they were clearly trying to unearth some wrongdoing on behalf of the lawyer in an attempt to either blackmail, discredit, or both.  It's perhaps possible though that attempts such as these had been successful with employees, preventing any whistle blowing. I'm not aware of any paralleles in other in other countries, however, I'd be surprised if this type of behavior was exclusive to UK titles.