jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Serious Question about National Warning System.

1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 5 years ago

I actually like the idea of a National Warning System - we have a warning system in New Jersey and it can be very useful especially when telling you about missing children, or storms coming.

To my question though:
    The current system relies on you watching TV or listening to radio - what about all the people who are working and are only connected to the internet-  how are they going to be warned. A National Warning system will only work if it reaches the entire population (or at least the vast majority).

If there is a real emergency broadcast we'll probably find that the telephone systems, cell phone (voice and text)  and email systems will be chocka-block full of messages - and this is likely to cause more problems!!!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's why everyone should have a facebook account.  I found out that Heavy D was dead about 10 minutes before the first article hit the google search engines.

1. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

FB is blocked in many corporations!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
          MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Very good point.

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

When the stage collapsed at the Indiana State Fair some weeks ago, a lot of people in the crowd couldn't get through to their families on their cell phones, because everyone present was using them at the same time.  Some people (including someone I know who had been sitting right in the spot where the stage hit) were able to contact their families to let them know they were okay - through Facebook. smile

working