OWS ... not quite right

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Hey all,

Here's an article I found highlighting the idiocy of the OWS movement.

They're a movement who sees the issue of banks being in bed with government. However, to demand a reduction in government (the group bailing out the banks), they demand an INCREASE in government (really, I can't understand this).

Ron Paul is demanding the former, while they demand the latter.

However, being that OWS is a progressive movement, tolerance is a natural part of that movement. In fact, many of them demand tolerance of races.

The interesting part is that, apparently, tolerance of political beliefs that are similar (a reduction in bank-gov't relations) but different are NOT respected.

In fact, it seems that PROPERTY RIGHTS are ALSO not respected by these OWS goons.

Here's the article which illustrates a story where the OWS goobers ridiculed and ransacked a Ron Paul tent that was posted there.

A bunch of thieves and hypocrites, these OWS.

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news- … 82558.html

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"But a light regulatory hand is now being called into question after the collapse of MF Global, the brokerage firm run by Jon S. Corzine until last week.

As regulators hunt for $600 million in missing customer money at the firm, many clients are aiming their anger at one of MF Global’s primary regulators: the CME Group.

For decades, commodities and futures trading firms have been largely policed by the exchanges where they trade, setting up potential conflicts of interest. These profit-making exchanges, like the CME Group, oversee the very futures firms they rely on for business, a self-regulatory system unlike that overseeing the Wall Street banks, which contend with armies of federal regulators.

Some farmers that used MF Global to protect themselves from the price swings of their crops are losing faith. “You do business with these places and you just assume they are fine and reputable,” said Brian Eggebrecht, a third-generation grain farmer in Montana. “It’s a scary time for farmers. Who’s to say what is going on with the other clearinghouses?”

The CME says the missing money at MF Global is an isolated incident, and does not warrant an overhaul of the exchange’s regulatory powers. Other industry insiders said there had not been problems with group’s regulation in the past.  MORE Here--

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/ … f=business

Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't mean to be a jerk, and I know that this is obviously a response to the e-mails we've been sending back and forth, but this is a post about OWS being hypocritical and destructive.

The OWS, as far as I can tell, supports more effective regulation of banks and corporations. Ron Paul says there's no need for regulation. Leave it up to the market. The article I linked is about an instance where private self-regulation didn't work. It contradicts your claim that the OWS is "hypocritical and destructive."

2. KeithTax profile image74
          KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And which political party isn't?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You go dude !!!  criticise a few guys for ransacking a friggin tent !!  seriously !!  when they are protesting at the a@@holes who have ransacked your country - you are dimmer than a 5 watt bulb boy !

Good job on missing the point. Completely.

I personally AM mad at my government for failing to do a good job, and I'm furious at the banks for pillaging the tax payer money.

So...

Once again, GREAT job on missing the point entirely.

1. quatrain profile image57
          quatrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting but not surprising that Ron Paul would be targeted, even in absentia. I am not one of his supporters but he appears to be independent of both parties, which makes him an enemy of both liberals and conservatives. An independent mind is a threat to the tyranny of orthodoxy, whether from the left or the right, after all.

3. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evan you believe that employers should be allowed to discriminate because of race, and that restaurants should be able to refuse minorities when serving food don't you?

This is the underbelly of libertarianism folks. It is a morally corrupt philosophy.

Well, there's no point in arguing with you, but I might as well restate it:

The reason why you are allowed to choose who you marry is the same reason you're allowed to choose who gets to use your property.

Bgamall apparently thinks everyone is allowed to use everyone else's property.

I call his jewelry!

4. KeithTax profile image74
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should read American political history; it is full of colorful political partiers. Remember the Whigs? Bull Moose Party? The Know-Nothing party? Yeah, they called themselves the Know Nothing party. Then there was the American Republican party (what the Know Nothings called themselves first.) We also had the American party and the Native American party. When you read the history it sounds a lot like the Tea Party and the Occupy Wall Street movement. The issues haven't changed. The same crap makes the rounds under a different name. Google it if you don't want to check the library.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

From a previous thread:

Evan G Rogers wrote:
    All the things listed in your post - bailouts, unemployment, corporate greed - are the main focus of Ron Paul's presidential campaign.

OWS has a LOT in common with Ron Paul.

(my response) No Evan, they don't.  Ron Paul would like Wall Street crooks to police themselves.  OWS wants them policed by our elected representatives.  Ron Paul supporters are a desperate, hypocritical bunch which is why he is running as a Republican.

Nice flip-flop

Are you running for office?

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the libertarians believe in spontaneous order. Try having spontaneous order at a sporting event.

I think you need to write another article about Ron Paul secretly being Hitler. That'll get you a few million hits! GOGOGO! BUSINESS INSIDER, AWA~~~AY!!!

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I know reading is difficult, but "both groups want to end the bank bailouts, the high unemployment (which is really in the double digits), and corporate/governmental greed, but the OWS are doing it wrong" was the message in BOTH of my posts.

I suppose, after discussing with you, the differences became more clear, and so I emphasized it a bit differently.

... but I guess we should just make fun of people who might be using HubPages to gain a better understanding of the world.

Good job on that, Ron.

3. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wants them policed by our elected representatives, you must mean the D.C. crooks. Brilliant.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Evan,
    Have you given any thought at all to what you'll do after November 2012?
    Will there be, can there be, life after Ron Paul?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ask Harold Camping.  He has some relevant experience.

Hey Ron: Your "swagger in chief" isn't going to end any of the wars he started, and he hasn't even finished the one he'd promise he'd end by the first year.

So, keep that tinfoil hat on and vote for Obama again... it'll just be another 4 years of Bush on Steroids.

Don't worry Evan, you can get started on Ron Paul 2016 ...oops....2020....oops...2024....oops...

Ron, I've actually lost what little respect I had for you on this forum.

Man that really hurts.  All I've ever sought here is your love. sad

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I'll be voting libertarian.

BTW - how can you even ask me that? Liberals are anti-war, yet Obama is involved with 5 wars.

So, instead of making fun, look in a mirror.

As I recall Obama voted against Bush's ill advised invasion of Iraq. Now he is pulling out. Bush started an endless war in Afghanistan in a failed effort to get Bin Laden. Obama got him with a few Navy Seals.

4. weestro profile image76
    weestroposted 12 years ago

Regardless of your stance, this will make you scratch your head:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/1 … k-attacks/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)