jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (30 posts)

Drug Use and Persons With a High IQ

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image92
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

No, I don't write for CNN.  But I'm sure we all realize here how the American Corporations and mainstream media make it blatantly obvious that mediocrity in America is their goal.

So, figure in an never ending war against.....inanimate substances - and THIS:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/1 … torysearch

And you get ...idiotland. 

Thoughts?

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Wes,
      I’m not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

Do you think corporations and mainstream media are part of a conspiracy to dumb-down society by opposing or by promoting drug use?

One theory proposed by evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa, suggests intelligence evolved to help humans respond to things in their environment about which they were, as a species, unaccustomed. Thus, he claims, smart people are more likely to deal with and try new things including drugs.

Since psychoactive drugs are, in evolutionary terms, new to humans, smart people, according to the theory, will be more likely to take psychoactive drugs even if the drugs are bad for them. "[The Hypothesis] does not predict that individuals that are more intelligent are more likely to engage in healthy and beneficial behavior, only that they are more likely to engage in evolutionarily novel behavior." (1)

I have observed the destructive aspects of drugs on people and society and I, seeing no benefits, choose to avoid those ramifications. I guess that reveals I am not as intelligent as many users who think drugs are cool.

Thanks for the link, Wes, and for asking for our thoughts.

(1) http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai … ion/18539/

Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello Sir,

I posted that first thing in the morning before gulping down the proper amount of coffee for it to have made much sense.

I re read my post - It doesn't even make sense to me now.  In any case, I wanted to share the link because I thought it was interesting.

I think corporations are what keeps prohibition in action - especially corporations like GEO Corp, and their business of warehousing humans and making them perform slave labor.

Also, fear mongering is always to the benefit of governments that seek only to grow in size.

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
          Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi again, Wes.

I appreciate your prompt reply. I gather you think corporations are opposed to drug use in order to satisfy their need for “slave” labor. You have an interesting point of view.

Thanks for sharing,

This exceedingly evil entity - for sure.

http://www.geogroup.com/

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

Coming from a completely different angle here, my experience with substance users is as a former probation officer. In my experience, and I'm not suggesting this is a scientific explanation in any way, highly dependent users were of low to average intelligence. However, a staggering amount (I'll try to dig out some evidence re this)had been identified as having a learning difference, typically dyslexia, ADD or ADHD. I'm not suggesting the learning difference had led to drug use, but generally speaking, low self esteem, poor coping and problem solving skills and inability to develop and maintain lasting, positive relationships was a common theme. Is it possible that those with a high IQ have similar relationships/esteem/emotional issues? Personally, I wouldn't know, I'm an average 100 type of gal smile

1. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My brother is one of the ultra-intelligent... he has broken the rating scales on several tests he has taken. He is unbelievably brilliant, but it has its drawbacks.

If you've ever seen the movie Phenomenon, it's kind of like that. He can't ever turn off the influx of thinking and ideas. It's overwhelming.

But, he's never used drugs.

For an example of how intelligent he is, he downloaded a trial of C++(30 day) when Civilization III came out. Within a week he had re-written the scoring algorithm of the game(without having access to the source code) and it was implemented as the standard scoring algorithm. He was offered a job with the Civ team and highly regarded as the most brilliant player the game ever saw.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, but a common theme among substance users is also emotional pain and an inability to deal with it. Great news re your brother, but maybe he has not experienced the isolation/loneliness that others with a high IQ/low IQ/Average IQ have had to deal with. Some people may have very IQs, however, emotionally they may not be intelligent.

With my brother, it's a long complicated story. Suffice it to say he had severe emotional problems. One day, he said he discovered a switch inside himself, and he turned them off. Since then, I've never seen emotion in him, it's more like talking to a computer.

That's not very healthy either.

It's the best thing for him, and in a way, it's the best emotion for him too.

It's not an emotion though, is it?

Nope, but the lack of emotion, as I said, is in a way the best emotion for him.

Perhaps he should be the judge of that? A lack of emotion is not an emotion, it's a state.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

He should be the one to decide that. A lack of emotion is not an emotion, it's a state of being.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hollie I pretty much think what you've just said is most likely at the root of it.  Lots of kids with particularly high IQ's are overlooked.  If/when they're not overlooked they're often misunderstood.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image92

You could probably count me in with the "have problems forming lasting and meaningful relationships" crowd.

Smart or not - I'd say not on my end.

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

My reaction to the article just turned itself into a Hub because it got it way too long (which doesn't always stop me from posting a long reply, but this subject is one that I thought deserves its own Hub  smile ).

4. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

Lisa, you should. This is an interesting topic. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hollie, I agree that it's interesting.  The Hub should be up and running in about ten minutes.   smile  (probably no pictures on it, though   smile ).

Will be one the first to read it. smile

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I thought marijuana made people smarter, and that was why it is illegal.

I thought it was because it was highly profitable for certain "elements". But your explanation kind of makes sense, too. Perhaps it's two fold.

working