This question is for any viewpoint, whether that be Conservative, Liberal, Libertarian, Progressive, Socialist, or whatever you consider yourself.
What are key political issues to you, and key changes you would like to see in the US? If you don't mind, please also state your political ideology.
I would like to see financial responsibility. With a deficit of over $1 trillion dollars for one year, I don't think 'cutting $1.2 trillion over 10 years' is what our goal should actually be.
Ironically, I avoid most labels.
I am Libertarian.
1. get the US military out of every square inch that isn't US soil. The Constitution provides for a military strong enough to defend American soil.
I would cut the military by 60-70%. I would take at least 1/2 of the Navy and re-purpose it to be a rapid response force for calamities like oil spills.
I would increase the size of the National Guard in case we are ever attacked.
2. get out of NATO, it is nothing more that a money scam.
3. get out of the UN, or reduce our participation to 1/138th. I would also have it moved off US soil and end diplomatic immunity for all civil laws.
4. toss the Federal Reserve out on their little piggy ears. Many think that it is a part of American government, It's not it is a private international corporation. America should have control of our money, our banking system and our Mint.
5. cut ALL foreign aid, including military aid,,, period.
6. cut ALL subsidies private and corporate, the government has no place in business.
7. Toss the current tax code. It was written by the rich for the rich. It is 7 x the length of the Bible. It is over 72,000 pages and there is no one person who knows all of it. I would probably go for something like a simple Federal sales tax set at 12% and requiring a minimum 2/3, more like 3/4 to change it. Basic things like food, rent or mortgage, and a few others would be exempt just like state sales taxes.
8. all government employees would be a part of and depend on the same system that the rest of us do, be that Social Security or whatever replaces it.
9. end all perks for public employees the the average person doesn't get,,, period.
10. Apply the exact same taxes, fees and tariffs to every country that they apply to US goods.
11. I would give incentives in the form of tax credits and reduced or interest free loans to rebuild the US infrastructure so that it becomes possible to build things in the US again.
12. make every state a "right to work" state. Any business doing work with or for the government would have to be a "right to work" business.
13. take the money out of politics, no lobbies, no pacs every candidate gets the exact same time on air and is included in every debate.
All propositions adverts would be written by a neutral party without any lies or distortions.
14. require a completely balanced budget and a complete audit of every part of government, including all defense spending.
Well I think it is lunch time.
There is where I would start. I believe it is a cut of about 4 trillion in the first year.
After lunch I would start my afternoon by pardoning everyone serving time for simple drug charges or prostitution. After that I would completely de-fund the war on drugs and remove all Federal drug laws. I would then start working on setting up treatment centers for anyone who needs to get off drugs.
I take it then that you would remove the US from all foreign soil and end their diplomatic immunity as well?
Yes I would remove all military, not embassies or consulates.
I would end diplomatic immunity for all civil crimes.
The idea behind DI is so the ambassadors and others couldn't be arrested and held for the actions of their countries, like when we went to war with Japan.
But the way it has been applied they have total immunity for everything from parking tickets to rape and murder.
If they can't live by our laws they are welcome to leave of face the same penalties as any citizen would.
I'll just comment that the U.S. has gotten sick and tired of the rest of the world before. So much so, that the U.S. instituted a policy of isolationism. Unfortunately, we then discovered in due course that when we don't go to the troubles, the troubles will then obligingly come to us; and they are invariably compounded when they do so.
In almost every conflict in modern times, starting with WWI, we would have been far better served to have stayed out of the fray.
WWII we pretty much had no choice but the Germans were already loosing. Of course WWII was really just the finish if WWI ans WWI would have ended without the Germans being in such dire straights and WWII never would have happened. The Japanese never would have attacked the US had we not already been so committed in Europe.
Isolation or at least military isolation would have been the better road taken.
by Mary Hyatt2 years ago
I wish we could be informed of important changes/rules via an email. I check out the Forums each day, but a lot of Hubbers do not. I'm sure those folks miss a lot of important information.
by Tony Lawrence6 years ago
http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=486790652130 Watch for this, it is important. Twitter should do this too!Gmail has allowed this for some time - if you don't know that you have turned it on, you should check.
by Doug Hughes6 years ago
The 14th AmendmentSection 4. "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or...
by CMHypno7 years ago
Do you think this will happen?http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … e-GDP.html
by rebekahELLE5 years ago
More changes coming. Some are rather strange. http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/04/import … -hubpages/
by EPman6 years ago
Would the same outrage still exist? Or did Obama's presidency ignite the flame?I tend to think that Obama being elected certainly was fuel on the fire -- that is to say, the Tea Party would not be as big or popular if...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.