Biological Weapons - the US Federal Government spent $14.5 billion on

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Zubair Ahmed profile image74
    Zubair Ahmedposted 12 years ago

Professor Francis Boyle, the person who drafted the Biological Weapons Anti-Terrorism Act of 1989 enacted by the US Congress, said that in 2001-2004, the US Federal Government spent $14.5 billion for civilian bio-warfare-related work. What other purpose does this serve but to kill people?

The US and it's cronies initially said Iraq possessed WMD and biological weapons (supplied to to it by the US). They then carried out a illegal invasion of the country based on fabricated evidence.  Now they same lies are being used to conjure up enough support from the cronies to attack Iran.

How can and why should the world allow the US to initiate another illegal war on Iran based on so called evidence of WMD which suits a holywood movie?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're funny. You know there is other work that can be done in that field, which isn't about creating weapons. roll

Zubair Ahmedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, yes I'm funny - If you read the thread it says weapons related work  .  But I guess that's to much to comprehend when one is fed on a diet of how great the US is even when it bullies other countries, uses nuclear weapons on Hiroshima killing innocent people.

1. ShawnB2011 profile image60
          ShawnB2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I think the government is damned if they do and damned if they don't. People will get mad if the U.S. sat back and didn't do anything preventive after something tragic had happened and then people will be all pissy that they went in and didn't find anything. Either way, everyone will think that it's some sort of conspiracy of some sort and bitch about it. But, my country... the U.S of A. means a lot more to me than Iran so I would rather them be safer than sorry in the case they do have a nuclear weapon.  But that's just me.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dude, quit living in the past. roll

1. ShawnB2011 profile image60
            ShawnB2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Iol I was about to say the same thing Cagsil. How long ago was that? lol. Besides, preventing another Hiroshima is exactly why we need to know for sure if Iran has those kinds of weapons or planning to make such a weapon.

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Assalamu Alaikum, Zubair Ahmed.

The many, many long-festering issues can never be addressed in this space. However, the news is filled with tensions and accusations involving Iran and its nuclear program, so I will confine my comments to this one subject.

Iran received good news at the United Nations when the Russian ambassador criticized the report released by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Nov 8th that revealed details about Iran’s “secret weapons work.” (1) Iran has been loosing support in the world because it refuses to join the other nuclear powers in accords that will protect the world from a nuclear disaster. Look at the long history that has isolated Iran even among other Islamic nations.

UN Resolution 1747, adopted on March 24th, 2007, states “Recalling the latest report by the IAEA Director General (GOV/2007/8) of 22 February 2007 and deploring that, as indicated therein, Iran has failed to comply with resolution 1696 (2006) and resolution 1737 (2006).” (2) Iran’s refusal to work in harmony with other nations is a matter of public record worldwide. Many of Iran’s neighbors live in fear of an Iran that has unbridled nuclear capability. In an official report to the UN in Nov. 2010, the United Arab Emirates “outlined a co-ordinated effort by multiple ministries and agencies to comply with Security Council sanctions… The UN imposed a fourth round of trade curbs against Tehran on June 9 designed to halt Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programmes by targeting Iranian cargo, financial transactions and firms run by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines.” (3)

Therefore, it appears that those hoping to curb Iran’s development of nuclear weapons have no need for lies. Iran has by its own actions chosen not to co-operate with the other nuclear powers to maintain world stability. After years of sanctions, has Iran shown willingness in 2011 to end its isolation among nations? In the Nov. 8th report to the UN, for the first time, the IAEA said Iran was suspected of clandestine work that is "specific to nuclear weapons.” Iran shares a large measure of responsibility for its own troubles with the rest of the world.

As I said above, Ahmed, there is not room enough to cover all the issues. I know that you have many good reasons for believing as you do. With great respect for your integrity, I am looking forward to hearing about your opinions about Iran's nuclear weapons programs and the facts that led you to reach your conclusions.
      Peace, Ahmed.

References:
      (1) http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/russ … n-15076061
      (2) http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/ia … 7-2007.pdf
      (3) http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwid … ainst-iran

Wa Alaikum AsSalam Quilligrapher,

I am thankful to your for responding in such nice manner and for providing so much detail in your post. 

I am not an Iranian, nor am I a Shiat Muslim (just to clear any lingering views that I have a biased reason for my views).  Nor do I hate the US or the West or anybody else - lets clear that unless someone out there thinks I'm looking to implement the Sharia Law or something like that.

I am simply looking at the information (I don't call it facts - as I do not think that given the political system in play around the world will ever get the real facts). To cut the long story short this is the reason why I am totally against t current policies towards Iran:

(1) Iran is a signatory to IAEA and so far as we know has always kept its side of the bargain to some level (give and take the odd politically motivated escalations from the IAEA reports)

(2) Iran gets pushed around even though it continues to deny (and no evidence other than the current IAEA report) that it is producing a N-weapon.  Where as Israel which everyone knows has Nuclear-W's is not a IAEA signatory nor is it declaring its program - no one says anything about that, nor do they place any sanctions on that country - is that because it is the lap dog of the US and UK.  Or is it because it's one law for Muslim countries and another for non-Muslims.

(3) Why is it that US supports dictators all over the world especially in certain Middle Eastern countries and yet is so concerned about Irans Human rights.

I can go on with this - I know you have sited some reference sites.  I would also like you to look at:

(1) PressTV
        (2) RT TV
        (3) GeorgeGalloway website

All the best

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Assalamu Alaikum, Zubair Ahmed.

Thank you for your kind words both here and on my profile. I appreciate your remarks and the references in your post. Your thoughts in this thread are of great personal value to me.

While I understand your view that Iran “has always kept its side of the bargain” with the IAEA, I wonder why so many of the member states in the UN, going back as far as 2006, have thought otherwise. I wonder about the information you believe has been withheld from the UN.  I am new to this subject and ask that you have patience with my ignorance. I am confused by your statement that Israel is not an IAEA signatory and not held to the same standards as Iran when the IAEA web site (http://www.iaea.org/About/Policy/Member … html#notes) indicates both countries are ratifying member states since 1957-58. Is this not accurate?
          I suspect you and I will agree that every nation’s foreign policy is designed to increase its own international influence and power. Frequently, officials will pursue leverage at the expense of harmony. All nations do it. Goodness carries little importance in a struggle for survival. The Italian diplomat, historian, and political theorist Niccolò Machiavelli observed in Il Principe (1513/1532): “It is essential therefore for a prince to have learnt how to be other than good and to use, or not to use, his goodness as necessity requires.” 

Thank you, Ahmed, for your views on these matters. I have found that much wisdom is gained from just looking at the world from another perspective.

Peace.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image64
    Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years ago

Do you actually know what this work covered, or are we just making assumptions? Protection and defense work is "weapons related". As far as I know the spending has been largely on how to detect and protect people against biowarefare.  Like anthrax etc which has killed people in the US, and H1N1 which still could.

3. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

When will our governments ask our opinion on their policies, on the directions of the budgets? When will we have our say?

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It's called an election. If your representative supported something you don't like, vote them out. But do it on facts, not rumors.

As you can see 'vote' that really does work  - which is why you have hundreds if not thousands taking part in the occupy wall street and similar movements, took part in many anti-war demo's with millions marching - not an iota of difference did that make. 

Please provide me with the facts as to why you think I have based this thread on rumors - I am more than happy to accept it as your viewpoint on the information you have in front of you.  Just like before the Iraq invasion we were told that 20mm tube of chemical compound that Sadam had would destroy thousands of lives, yet after the war and removing Sadam and destroying the whole country we still await the US and Allies to find that factory which holds this WMD.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)