jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Newt? What are Republicans thinking?

1. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I'm very surprised by Newt's rise in the polls. Is he smart? Very. Is he politically savvy? Yes. Do I like his stand on illegals? Definitely. Do I like him? NO!!

Newt will never attract moderates and independents. The only 2 GOP candidates who can do that to any degree are Romney and Huntsman, and it looks like Huntsman won't have a chance. So, at this point, I'm supporting Mitt. If Newt is the nominee, I'll either vote for Obama or stay home - which I haven't done since turning 18.

I don't "love" Mitt, but I see him as reasonable, and I also think he's a good person. I like his business experience, too. I don't agree with him on everything, but I've never found a candidate with whom I agree on everything. Mitt has more character in his little finger than Newt will ever have in total.

Sorry for the rant. It was in response to a news article I just read about Newt. lol. Whew...I feel better now.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image82
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ron Paul is attracting a lot of liberals, a lot of independents, and a lot of Republicans.

I noticed how you casually left him out of the debate, even with Huntsman doesn't stand a chance against Paul.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

Newt berry crunch is the GOP flavor of the month.  He'll fade like the others and get out of Romney's way.

1. habee profile image89
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ron, I hope you're right!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Have I ever been wrong?

2. livelonger profile image90
      livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep.

Michele Bachmann.
      Donald Trump.
      Sarah Palin.
      Herman Cain.
      Now Newt Gingrich.

There is a plurality/majority of Republicans who can't stand Romney and are trying to elevate anyone else - anyone - to the top of the ticket. Romney will probably get it by default at the end, as the rest implode in sex scandals, but only moderates like him.

Habee, you're a moderate - in fact, if you were born in and living in another part of the country, you might even (gasp!) be a Democrat tongue. Hardcore Republicans loathe Romney. In the general election, he'll probably fare like Kerry did in 2004, but that's better than any of the recent run of jokers would have.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

I don't think Romney can secure the GOP nomination. He's too moderate, and, sad to say it, too Mormon. The GOP's right-wing fundamentalist base won't get behind him. I could be wrong, and hope I am, but there it is.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

Ron Paul can't even rise to flavor of the month.  You're beating a dead horse.

5. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

GOP won't nominate Paul; he's too willing to cut defense spending and aid to Israel.

1. livelonger profile image90
      livelongerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The bigger issue is that Paul would be happy to allow the big banks to fail. The Republican ecosystem relies on regular infusions of cash from corporate and financial service interests. (The Democrat ecosystem does, too)

1. Jeff Berndt profile image91
        Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good point.

working