jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How To Fix The US Government

1. LucidDreams profile image83
    LucidDreamsposted 4 years ago

This government needs a whole lot of help right now and most of the people in congress still dont get it.

Subject: Let us all speak up!

Warren Buffet, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

“I could end the deficit in 5 minutes”, he told CNBC. “You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election”.

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971…before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land…all because of public pressure.

In three days, most people in the United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011

1. No Tenure/ No Pension

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3 %.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by the laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past, present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/2012. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 4 years ago

The issues of term limits , balanced budgets , and gov bennies has been around awhile , and while I agree with you . I also believe that voter apathy is the biggest culprit! Amerca ....as voters ,is asleep at the wheel!

3. GoGreenTips profile image60
    GoGreenTipsposted 4 years ago

I think that we don't really need any more laws, there are millions of them, with hundreds and thousands of pages of laywerly terminology that no one can understand. What is lacking in our government is integrity. In response to ahoresback and no disrespect is intended, but if all the candidates, Republican and Democrat are unethical and in some fashion bought by one large interest group or another then whom do you vote for that will stand for the common people.

Why wouldn't the people be apathetic?

I think Warren Buffet has a point. Our leaders should get no perks beyond what the people receive! Perhaps they created a separate system for themselves because they know that the SS System is flawed and doomed to failure...

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image85
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years ago

Sounds good.  How do we get Congress to limit their own power?  It's one thing to pass laws that impact everybody else.  How do we get them to take away the perks that people run for office to get?

I think salary and benefits for Congress and the Presidency should be regulated by the Supreme Court.  But they don't ask for my advice.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago

How to fix the US Government?

6. LucidDreams profile image83
    LucidDreamsposted 4 years ago

I think we need an accupy congress movement!