jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Universal Politics

1. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 4 years ago

OK so let's say that in the not too distant future, an intelligent alien race contacts us and wants to discuss some basic universal political issues just to make sure us and them are on the same page about things. As to avoid any misunderstandings that might result in Universe War I. Upon discovering that we have not appointed a world political leader they laugh at us with a strange sounding alien laugh that makes us think about how silly we are all acting here on earth and also has the effect of uniting all the countries of the world for the advancement of the human race.

Who do you nominate for the office of World President and why?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mother Theresa is dead so I'd have to go with .....me.  No, seriously, just trying to buy some time so I can think of someone else.  Oh, I know.  Suze Ormand or maybe J.K.Rowling.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I demand that we point out that a 7 billion governments are much better than 1 giant government. We tried big government, it led to death.

I'm sure aliens won't be able to come to us if they have one world government because they'd all starve.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

similar scenario: 'The Day the Earth Stood Still',
    1951, Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal. There is no one on this planet smart enough.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They have already chosen the go-between. We await further instructions. Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated.

3. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 4 years ago

Well lets also assume they are not more advanced than us, they were just able to get to us before we got to them and they quickly appointed a world representative of thier own. They are not hostile and they just want to talk. We have to pick someone so who is the best representative?

I would have to go for a scientist like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Why anyone advanced enough to get here through far reaches of space, would bother with this gang that can't shoot straight on this planet, would be a mystery to me.

5. livelonger profile image91
    livelongerposted 4 years ago

The larger the electorate, the more difficult it is to govern, given the widening differences in interests.

No one would fit the bill.