jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

uninformed questions

1. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 4 years ago

Jill Biden is wife to the VP of the U.S. but is she someone official in the government? I read that she's acted "on behalf of the Administration" and she seems to have an official capacity but I don't know why or what. She's listed on the White House page as if she's part of the administration.

Also, how is it that a bill was passed on the 15th of this month that Americans can be detained indefinitely with no trial? Everyone complained, sent letters, it's unconstitutional and I actually don't know what the next step is! What do we do when lawmakers break the law? Yes, I know this has happened always but even I can see and feel the walls closing in. This no longer feels like a temporary swing of the pendulum.

Does this mean I have to start paying attention to politics? Yuck.

1. J Elaine profile image61
      J Elaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If more people were paying attention to politics we wouldn't be in such a mess right now.
      The bill you are worried about is HR 1540 and I think the final language in the bill clears up this misunderstanding.
      The legislation would strengthen policies and procedures used to detain, interrogate, and prosecute al Qaeda, the Taliban, affiliated groups, and those who substantially support them but would not extend any new authorities to detain U.S. citizens and explicitly exempts U.S. citizens from provisions related to military custody of terrorists.
      Hope this helps.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The NDAA is one re-assured signature away from declaring war on the entire planet.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

The slippery slope started over a 100 years ago when the Federal Government decided to just ignore the 10th Amendment.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That started the second the Bill of Rights was passed.

If you read letters from the heads of States involved with passing the Constitution, they almost immediately regretted their decision. It was an uphill fight against a tide to get the Bill of Rights passed.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago

Lawmakers make laws that are unconstitutional all the time.  That's why we have supreme courts.