jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

China's Exports........

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Why do Countries Insist on blaming China for her marketing standards ( which are not governed like most Western Countries)...............when they all have a choice whether to trade or not.....
    seems to me they are just too damn greedy and hypercritical........

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

China exports a lot of inferior and even poisonous products which are produced by underpaid workers in unsafe and unhealthful, polluting plants. It's doubtful that Chinese workers are benefiting as they should from free trade, and it's clear that American workers are being decimated by cheap goods from China. The comparative advantage theory of free trade benefiting trading partners was originally developed to cover trade between countries at the same level of economic development. It's validity is questionable for countries at greatly different levels of economic development.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yep you guys are sharper than tacks . I guess my point was that in so much as I abhor China's lack of human rights
      it really annoys me more that so developed and so called progressive Countries like yours and mine agree to it ( trade) under those conditions ,and  then manipulate the media to somehow be suddenly shocked to find .....'dangerous practices" existing. Major Companies and C.E.O's must roll about arrogantly smug to see and hear the world bashing China while they line their pockets with the spoils .
      Thats what makes my blood boil.
      I would love to buy only products " locally made to support my own economy etc but once again whoevers in charge of Policy , has driven marketing costs , wages and employers pass that cost on to the consumer ( me and you ).......so in realistic terms as much as I like too I probably would rather pay $2 for a pair of socks instead of $10 .... That is sadly the bottom line and the fat cats slurp cream and serve us milk then slap us( with higher taxes) for not showing more gratitude!.......

1. AEvans profile image73
        AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I do understand as it is definitely corporate greed and everyone has a cut in it. Take our oil for example, here in the U.S. we have enough of our own here that we do not need to have it imported into our country, however the government thinks that all americans are idiots and they are helping the oil companies get wealthier, so while your country and our country struggle during this holiday season, the CEO for the oil companies will be sitting up there in there chair enjoying themselves and laughing at all of us. smile My goodness it is frustrating and I clearly understand what you are saying.smile

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 7 years ago

It is China's privilege to export cheap and inferior quality goods.  It is the privilege of others to buy or look in for local goods.  People should prefer local goods only even if it is a bit costly.  Buying cheap goods from China, which does not approve workers' rights will encourage them and their workforce will be deprived of all privileges enjoyed by workers elsewhere.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, IMHO, worker rights and global climate change should be high on the agend at WTO talks. As the price of free trade China should have to agree to observe basic worker rights and begin to stop pumping carbon into the atmosphere. (And so should the United States!)

2. AEvans profile image73

Not all products from China are cheap and of inferior quality however not all products should be outsourced as in the long run our government and major companies look for cheaper labor ,however by the time the product is completed packed into a container, or via air, freight charges are paid, customs fees, duties and taxes and we cannot forget an exam fees or storage that can be placed on the merchandise and then move cross country into the U.S. please tell me how they are saving? Somebody went in and said it was a good idea and the idiot who agreed without looking at all of the facts (COST) by the time it is placed on our shelves the mark up is over 300% on some merchandise so if we kept a majority of it in our country , we would have jobs and I can almost bet that many goodies would cost us less.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 7 years ago

"mark up is over 300%" Therein lies the motivation me thinks for cheap overseas labor.

1. AEvans profile image73

Bad motivation for our country when our neigbors and friends are struggling and to top it off there are losing there jobs, homes etc. Corporate America is greedy and I wonder what would happen if we as Americans stopped purchasing for a day???? Would they bring some of the jobs back??? smile