Political/Ideological/Religious Forums

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (38 posts)
  1. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

Are Political/Ideological/Religious Forums just pointless rants or do they actually change hearts and minds?

steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To me they seem a distraction from what the goal -- or at least -- my goal is here.  Yes, they can be seductive we all love a good argument but not really why I am here.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you totally.  This is a writers' platform and there are so few forums that have anything to do with writing except for the sandpit, which is usually some inane word or name or number game.  There are plenty of religious and political platforms out there if people want to get involved with masters of that sort of thing.  Here, they're just bullies and instigators.

1. vmartinezwilson profile image78
          vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, the funny thing about writing is that it is an all inclusive format.  My specialty is film, so I write about that and hope people enjoy it.  I enjoy reading about film, but also about politics, because that was my minor.  If this place was entirely about writing it wouldn't have the same draw, 

There are some that come across as bullies, but I've chosen to ignore them and instead discuss matters with people who may disagree, but who also can be civil about it.  So, far it's worked for me.  Although I admit I haven't been here for that long.

One more thing, as a screenplay writer, I couldn't come up with half the ideas that some people spout off here.  I really appreciate the different perspective because it can bring complexity to what would have been a one dimensional character or narrative.

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This thread should be banned for being a calm and intellectual discussion!

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
        Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.
      No.

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many people are going to tell you that no one is going to change their mind about the beliefs which they already solidified. However, I have more in-depth knowledge which works to my advantage, which I am not about to reveal and it reinforces my actions on the forums.

With that said, do try to stay out of trouble. lol

5. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say it's not one or the other, but a mixture. I've had some really wonderful, enlightening conversations in the religion forum; I just ignore the angry proselytizers of either variety.

In the politics forums, there are a couple of conservatives that I respect and can have a conversation with, but they're relatively few (sadly), so I've spent less time there.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

I think forums on this website very rarely change people's minds, as in a complete turnaround.
    For those who approach the forums with the object to learn, they will learn. About themselves and others, and possibly even more about the subject about which they debate.
    For those who approach the forums with the intent of forcing their ideas down everyone's throats, they learn nothing and contribute nothing.
    I have learned a lot from these forums. It has not changed my mind about anything; but it has given me a broader perspective on some things, as well as given me some insight about the psychology of the human mind and behaviorism during debate.
    I find it useful. But that's just me.

It seems to me that it is reasonable to participate because it might drive some traffic to your Hubs.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't really care about traffic. I like to discuss with people. If they wanna read my hubs, then that's fine lol. But either way, it's not a big deal to me.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

To rant? Or not to rant? That is the question.

whether it nobler, in the minds of men,  to endure the slings and arrows of moronic ideologues........

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

It stimulates me to new ideas and thus I learn.

5. steveamy profile image61

well spoken ... perhaps it  will shine as beacon of reason ........... nah!!!! unlikely.

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A typical day on the Religious Forum
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/2519039_f248.jpg

6. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I can say that I have learned alot. Some about evolution, Judaism, Athisim and just how ugly people can be to complete strangers because they have a computer screen between themselves and another. I love Hubpages! This is almost a second home to me. I don't know that I have one enemy here despite what others might think. I love hearing everyones ideas....even if their just trying to get me upset,  which I just learned is called "trolling" lol I learned this because someone said I was doing that so I withdrew from the conversation.

1. vmartinezwilson profile image78
      vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I stopped posting in forums for a bit there because someone started 'online yelling' at me.  I was told not to take it too seriously and have absorbed that advice  I state my opinions and have been open to others.  That's all I can do.

Tis all can any of us do. Gar, these waters be trol'sm at times aye but they be worth the storms!

7. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Neither.  These forums allow all to participate and voice their opinions which are parts of discourses in a democratic and open society.   Thank God for these forums.  Participate and disagree to your heart's content but be civil and adult about it.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://images.sciencedaily.com/2009/10/091031002319-large.jpg

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha. that's what it feels like most times

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A perfect avatar for certain forums...

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60

How'd you get that pic of me? Certainly this is after my redbeard went white  but thur I be non the less. Gyarrrrr

9. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Think they rants and don't do nothing, cause they all have to be right! lol Ugly place to be in those forums! always leaves a bad taste in my mouth! smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

HP forums! The gift that keeps on giving. big_smile

11. steveamy profile image61

As I said earlier I try to avoid the distraction but some of the ideological lunacy makes it difficult to not wade into the morass occasionally.....

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Oh, good. I just discovered a quote and then this thread comes along. big_smile

"Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die." - Malachy McCourt

well spoken.....

13. vmartinezwilson profile image78
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

That's beautiful...and very apt in these forums.

14. profile image51
    johnvespucciposted 12 years ago

That is a quote to live by

15. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Such forums help to show me what all humanity has in common: stupidity. It knows no political, religious, or ideological boundaries. Quite frankly, it even transcends intelligence levels.

My unintentional modus operandi around here has been to get mad at a debate thread, compose an eloquent and scathing reply, take a deep breath, look at it again, wonder what's the point, close the tab, and get on with my life.

lol a wiser man than 99% of those who are a member of the Hubpage community sir

2. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A wiser man possibly but what's the fun in that. Getting the blood pressure up of some people can be more than a little humorous.

16. thebigbagblog profile image59
    thebigbagblogposted 12 years ago

That's a good question..."I don't know" ;-) (Plato would be proud! lol)

17. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

Pointless rants based upon no rationality. And when you make a point hubpages makes you understand that it would harm sensitive souls.

18. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

And who are those sensitive souls? You. But who are they to judge you, us? Do we need baby-sitters to tell us what is politically correct?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)