jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

How high could your taxes go before you would move?

1. secularist10 profile image89
    secularist10posted 5 years ago

How much taxation would you tolerate before you decided to move from your state, country or jurisdiction to another, lower-taxed place?

(Mainly I am thinking of personal income taxes, but if you want to discuss other taxes, by all means.)

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think California is contemplating engaging in that very experiment as we speak.

secularist10posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Haven't they been performing that experiment for years? Lol. I remember reading that Nevada was picking up a lot of Californian immigrants for economic reasons a few years ago. But Nevada isn't looking too hot economically nowadays.

Cali is an interesting case though, because it is such a beautiful place. So how much would a person be willing to pay to live there...

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
          paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are right.

Not as much as they used to. I've been hearing words like "exodus" lately.

California is a trend-setting state in many ways, so it makes the question all the more relevant for the US as a whole.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I think it's irrelevant. The government including state and federal could charge 100% taxes and still not have the ability to pay down the debt owed.

However, if taxes continue to go up, then the State and Federal boys will find that I won't exist, much less worry about moving from my location. I will simply drop off the grid.

How? Don't ask. lol

I'm not concerned with the debt on this one. Needless to say the debt problem can only be solved through a combination of tax hikes, spending cuts, and time.

But yeah, if you can figure out a way to drop off the grid, more power to you, lol.

Speaking of taxes... techniques the wealthy use to minimize their taxes:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wealthy-s … 11661.html

3. secularist10 profile image89
    secularist10posted 5 years ago

Personally, I think at my current income, I could tolerate maybe a 30% rate. Higher if I had a higher income.

working