jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are tagging devices helping paedophiles or children

1. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 5 years ago

Are tagging devices helping paedophiles or children

It is well documented that upwards of 95% of all rapes and sexual assaults perpetrated against children are committed within the family home or by someone known to the family and child. Traditionally children used delaying tactics to prevent themselves from being in the family home/or other such place, with such perpetrators, for example, a child would delay going home from school until they knew that the ‘good’ parent was at home and they had some hope of being protected. The child could say they went to their friend’s house to get some homework, or class finished late, whatever it took to stay out of the clutches of the male/female paedophile back home.

Now however, children are being tagged by their very abusers, the abuser can simply turn on his/her computer and monitor exactly where the child is, call them on their mobile and order the child home to be molested. While some people may have acted in good faith to protect their children equally as many have acted to the contrary, children have now been firmly put on the map for 95% of sexual predators in order to protect those children from the 5% who are much less likely to strike.

2. theirishobserver. profile image59

I would really like to hear your thoughts on this sad

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

My thoughts are that we have no idea how this technology affects rates of abuse. I would suggest that a parent who can't make the kid come straight home probably can make them leave the geotag turned on or make them answer the phone.

4. theirishobserver. profile image59

psycheskinner, good response, however, there have been cases of child sexual abuse coming before the courts, where victims have told how they were being ordered home by their abusers, the abuser being able to tell them exactly where they were, so it is an area that is open for deabte smile

working