jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)

Why didn't Republicans object ...

1. steveamy profile image60
    steveamyposted 5 years ago

Why didn't Republicans object to recess appointments made by George W. Bush like they did to the one made by President Obama this week?

1. Deni Edwards profile image89
      Deni Edwardsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I only wanted to stop by to give you a round of applause.  Okay, I'll comment, too. 

It seems that many republicans suffer from memory loss.  Perhaps another explanation is that they had their eyes glued to the terror alert level during Baby Bush's presidency and couldn't pay attention to anything else.

1. steveamy profile image60
        steveamyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

All applause is certainly welcome -- thanks. I agree with you on terror level -- a great political tool for Bush and Darth Cheney.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image58
      uncorrectedvisionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Could it be because the Senate is not in recess?

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You weren't supposed to bring up that fact. And remember Senator Obama's outrage when Bush used a recess appointment for John Bolton??

1. uncorrectedvision profile image58

It is okay - you can still vote for Obama if Santorum is the Republican nominee.  I know how important your independence is to you.

1. habee profile image90

I didn't say I wouldn't vote for Santorum. I said I wouldn't vote for Bachmann, Perry, or Newt. I don't really know much about Santorum. And I don't think I could vote for Obama now, after he signed the NDAA.

The NDAA was the tipping point - wow, you are tolerant of ineptitude - to a fault.

1. habee profile image90

Yep, I'm a very tolerant person. lol

3. Ralph Deeds profile image70
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good question. They have degenerated into saboteurs.

4. uncorrectedvision profile image58

Why aren't Democrats complaining now, they certainly have in the past - Barry even complained, yet in his hypocrisy he makes a non-recess, recess appointment.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Republican are always right and everyone else is always left-behind.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago
  4. maxoxam41 profile image80
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

Aren't affiliated to the same ideology? If yes, there's no surprise, is there?

5. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

Georgia W. Bush did 171 recess appoints. Bill Clinton 139 recess appoints. President Reagan 240 recess appoints. Georgia H Bush 77 recess appoints. Presidnet Obama so far is 28 recess appoints during his first term. So the winner by far was President Reagan. I don't recall the Republicans complaining back then? But today President Obama is attacked? Go figure!

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

RON PAUL DID!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele … _blog.html

I feel repetitive, but it's true!

Because the Senate is not in recess.

6. PrettyPanther profile image84
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

It's all a stupid game perpetrated by people who care little about doing the people's business.

"The president’s right to do so is clearly stated in the Constitution: the recess appointments clause empowers him to “fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.”

However, since the twilight years of the George W. Bush administration, the Senate has tried to nullify this power by holding “pro forma” sessions every three days, during what no one doubts would otherwise be an extended recess. In these sham sessions, manifestly serving only to circumvent the recess appointment safety valve, a lone senator gavels the Senate to order, usually for just a few minutes; senators even agree beforehand that no business will be conducted.

It is this transparently obstructionist tactic to which President Obama said “enough,” striking a badly needed blow for checks and balances with strong support both from the text and the original purpose of the recess appointment clause."

Yes, technically the Senate is not in recess.  Like I said, it's a stupid game wasting time and money that the American people do not have the luxury of wasting. 

Games and Gimmicks in the Senate

1. habee profile image90

But, PP, Reid and the Ds pulled the same trick on W, and W didn't get his appointments through. Quote by Reid:

“I had to keep the Senate in pro-forma session to block the Bradbury appointment. That necessarily meant no recess appointments could be made,” he said on the Senate floor in 2008.

So, does that mean it's okay for the Ds but not okay for the Rs?

Bush bad, Obama good.  Democrats good, Republicans bad.

1. PrettyPanther profile image84
          PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know you think you know how liberals think, but you're almost always wrong.

Since the word liberal and think don't belong in the same sentence, I would suppose under the circumstance of your using them that way - you are most certainly right.

Tell me how liberals "think"  I would just love to hear an example.

1. profile image0
              oldandwiseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to hear how a Republican thinks then. It's a known fact the Republicans have done more recess appoints then any Democrat in the last 30 years.

The Senate is not in recess.  This technique was pioneered by Democrats while George W Bush was President in order to thwart the long established and well used ability to make recess appointments.  Recess appointments last only until the next Congress begins - a maximum of two years.  I don't care if recess appointments are made or not.  The problem is that Democrats are now being hoisted on their own petard and are whining about it.

As for "how a Republican thinks"  I am not a Republican.  I am a conservative and a (small r) republican.

2. PrettyPanther profile image84
        PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, it doesn't.  It's a stupid game whoever plays it.

And yet which party instituted these sessions?  Wasn't it Obama's party?  Did he ever sit in a "proforma session?"  If so than it sounds like Karma to me.

As for not having the money - Obama just requested another $1.23 trillion nonexistent dollars be added to the already $6 trillion that has been added to the deficit under his brief watch.  I don't think the "wasting" of money is an issue to Obama or the Democrats.

As for wasting time - isn't it all just a waste of time.

7. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

It's amazing how it's twisted to say, Democratics did it so who are they to say. But Republicans have had more recess appointments in the past then President Obama. With President Reagan taking the most followed by President Clinton.

working