jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)

Did Romney really win in Iowa?

1. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

One has to wonder, he got 25 percent of the vote. 75 percent voted for other candidates. So how can that be considered a win for Romney? Not to mention he had less votes now then in 2008.

1. JamesPoppell profile image87
      JamesPoppellposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2012 is a very strange year for the GOP political theater. With the low percentage points (for every candidate) coming out of Iowa, I don't think there was a winner. I also do not believe Iowa to be a strong indicator of who the GOP pick is going to be for President, given what happened in 2008 with Mike Huckabee.

1. Bendo13 profile image86
        Bendo13posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep and McCain was 4th in Iowa in 2008 and you saw how things turned out in the end.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image81
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

IOWA IS A CAUCUS!! NOT A PRIMARY!!! THE VOTE DIDN'T MATTER!!!!!!!!

Romney, Santorum and Paul are -currently- tied for first with 7 delegates each.

Once Santorum drops out (he will), his votes will likely be divided into Paul and Romney's totals.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll give you credit for optimism.

Seriously, how depressed are you going to be when this is over and the old goat you love so much has lost?  Are you going to be ok?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image81

He has already won.

3. profile image0
      Mtbailzposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He did win. Santorum is the GOP voters' new love affair. Mitt Romney was able to hang on against the newest surging candidate. When Santorum's popularity fades, like it did for all the others, then Mitt Romney is again number one and has the added bonus of having won Iowa.

4. 910chris profile image73
      910chrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

To me it has always been who gets more delegates.  I know that you actually win with the electoral college, which makes me  wonder how much the people's vote really matters.

2. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

I agree that it does not seem like a win. The view that makes more sense is that Iowa is a winnowing down of the field, not an indicator of a front runner.

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

I agree totally with both your observations. Thanks for sharing.

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

It's an amazing field.  Romney is the only sane one, but they hate him because he's Not A Christian and he's also one of the most brazen flip-floppers ever to grace the stage.

I can't imagine being a sane Republican and seeing this bunch heading toward me.  Sitting on the Dem side, I think it's absolutely marvelous :-)

1. Evan G Rogers profile image81

Romney's a flip-flopping hack.

Maybe that's why the liberals think he's "the only sane one" -- all the Demmy's are flip-floppers as well.

Ok, seriously : http://www.betvega.com/2012-presidentia … ds-020110/

The decrepit old Libertarian is +4500.  No GOP candidate is below +1000.  Obama is -125 to -130.

(for those who don't know, plus numbers are how much you'd get if you bet $100.00, negative are what you'd need to put up to win 100.  At +4500, there is little chance).

Yet you really think any of that GOP insanity matters?  Really?

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
          Repairguy47posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Let me guess, democrats are sane? You a funny guy.

Nope. But nicer, mostly.  Not nice enough, but better than the GOP.

The insanity I'm speaking of is the insanity of you folks who actually think Obama is going to lose.    And the insanity of how much damage the Republicans are willing to inflict on us in their futile attempts to stop that reality.

Obama will lose, despite your delusion that he won't. Obama is and has been the biggest fraud since that other whack-job Carter. Obama is a serial liar and most people can't wait to be rid of him. I'm sorry mean people scare you.

Sure.  Whatever you say :-)

do you need a hug?

Nope.  Just knowing how much you will be sobbing next year is enough.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image81

Pcunix, you don't get it.

He has already won.

(PS, some liberal douches shoved his wife to the floor and yelled "move it" to her as she fell just so they could get an interview with him.)

2. Bendo13 profile image86
      Bendo13posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mormons are Christians...
      I don't like Romney, just pointing out facts.

Christians follow Christ right?
      Well, isn't their church really called The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints? 
      The only reason they're called Mormons is because of thier "Bible sequel" the Book of Mormon... and Mormon is just supposed to be one of their prophets.

Once again, I don't believe in the teachings of the religion... just pointing out the facts.

Sigh.   I don't care about who thinks this one is whatever - it's all superstitious nonsense to me.  I said "Not a Christian" like that because some of the heavy Protestant Bible thumpers don't think Mormons qualify.

I wouldn't vote for any of them, but to not vote for someone because you don't like their religion is disgusting.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

Bachmann dropped out as a result.

America won.

6. Charles James profile image83
    Charles Jamesposted 5 years ago

Yes Romney did win in Iowa. He got more votes than any other candidate. That is the usual measure.

7. Quilligrapher profile image90
    Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago

The Iowa Caucus really does matter for the Republicans living in Iowa. The votes in each of the 1,774 precincts ultimately lead to the selection of delegates for the GOP presidential nominating convention.

However, the Iowa Caucus is much ado about nothing. The process results in only 1% of the delegates at the national conventions. The Iowa GOP started a tradition of having a straw poll at their caucus to give the illusion of a primary election. George Bush, Sr. defeated Ronald Reagan in 1980 but did not get the party’s nod at the national convention. In addition, George Bush, Sr., and Michael Dukakis were their party’s standard bearers in the 1988 presidential race after both had finished third in Iowa. In elections where neither candidate was the sitting president or vice president, the Iowa winner went on to the get their party’s nomination only about half the time.

8. LoriSoard profile image80
    LoriSoardposted 5 years ago

Didn't he only win by like 8 votes? I think the ticket was just so split that you can expect this. As the race progresses, it will change when we narrow the field down to a few instead of so many, because people will shift their votes to another candidate.

working