jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

World Issues

1. santos88 profile image64
    santos88posted 5 years ago

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all the problems this world has? Sometimes I really do believe ignorance is bliss….

2. recommend1 profile image66
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

Ignorance is just ignorance and contributes nothing toward solving any of the problems.

It is very simple actually.  In most cases the people who own everything, including you and me, are directly or indirectly causing most of the conflict to gain some financial advantage.  The other conflicts are a side effect of this totally selfish, socially insane situation.

Stop wishing for ignorance, Fox news etc are busy trying to keep you that way as it is.  Get informed and get your government changed to be for the people (democratic)  instead of it being a tool for the fat few to control you.

Imagine what a government that protected people from the excesses of uncaring big business, fat useless thieving financiers, and lying corrupt politicians could do for life in general and for the world as a whole.

1. santos88 profile image64
      santos88posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I definitely do NOT wish for ignorance, that is the last thing this world needs. I just think that people who have no idea about politics, social issues, etc are happier because they are ignorant. Unfortunately, like you said, companies like Fox are trying to keep us that way. I would love to be 100% happy, but I would rather be depressed about the state of the world than to not know what is going on.

"Imagine what a government that protected people from the excesses of uncaring big business, fat useless thieving financiers, and lying corrupt politicians could do for life in general and for the world as a whole."
      Hopefully one day there will be a world like this. More and more people need to speak up and fight for what they believe in, especially people like CEOs, celebrities, wall street people, they have a lot of power they could use for good.

3. Rutger V Haarlem profile image60
    Rutger V Haarlemposted 5 years ago

I refrain from watching the news or reading news papers now, as I have my own problems to worry about than everyone elses..... smile

4. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

I think it is important to have concern for the world situation, because ignoring it won't make it disappear.  However, it is natural to concentrate on the things we have personal control over.  We cannot control politicians or big business.  And idealism as made evident in the '60s has long gone, and most people believe that they can have no influence in the world.  Perhaps we are more cynical now or perhaps just more realistic.

5. santos88 profile image64
    santos88posted 5 years ago

I am not sure if we are more cynical or more realistic, probably both. Most people don't have a strong influence in the world, which is sad because it's some of the least-powerful people who truly want the world to be happy, clean, and peaceful.

6. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 5 years ago

Santos88 - I agree that it is rather depressing concerning this world and all that is happening on a daily basis. Yet - I read the newspapers - listen to news radio programs and watch news on television because I want to be informed - I want to know what is going on around me - it's smart and caring as an American.  I realize the prtion of good and uplifting articles are in a small percentage but thank God we still have that.

working