jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

What are they wishing for actually?

1. phillippeengel profile image73
    phillippeengelposted 4 years ago

Having a high standard does not necessarily mean you are satisfied with your living conditions.

Often, as a country becomes wealthier, people become less satisfied with their present living conditions and lifestyle.

They desire things that will make life even more comfortable and convenient, such as faster cars, bigger homes and more leisure time. In other words, they hanker for a better quality of life.

And these desires can only be satisfied through further development of the country.

However, the irony is that people in DCs are fed up with the many tasks and stresses they are facing. Didn't they wish for a better quality of life? What are they wishing for actually?

1. 0
      Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

People always want something more and better, no matter how much we have.  Often though, once we have what we think we have been wanting, we realise that we didn't really want it at all, or we quickly get used to it and it loses its interest.  Yet, the elderly, who when they were young had almost nothing, usually tell of how happy they were.  The community spirit people then had has been replaced by material things, which is never a satisfactory replacement.

1. phillippeengel profile image73
        phillippeengelposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Can you suggest to me why the elderly reminisce about their past and hardly mention anything unpleasant, such as financial hardships?

1. Charles James profile image85
          Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We reminisce about when we were young and strong and doers and shakers.

Yes we were poor but normally so was everyone around us. And it was normal to be poor. Not normal to be destitute but certainly normal to live from pay packet to pay packet. And we did not have debt because no-one would lend to us and it was culturally not done to take on debt.

When my parents bought their first house the front room or lounge was bare boards for more than two years until my parents had saved up to buy carpets and furniture. Hire Purchase and credit cards were not developed then.

2. 0
          Muldaniaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think because they didn't know any different.  No one had anything, and they were unaware of all the things which they didn't have.  What they did have though was a sense of community, which is probably more of a human need, than all the material things, which we now believe we cannot live without.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They also didn't have to worry about buying their kids the "right" trainers so they didn't get picked on.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But they could insist on them wearing Pac-a-Macs to ensure that they still got picked on.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. 73
    SanXuaryposted 4 years ago

I have studied this question long and hard. By doing so I have come to realize how far off course we are. A real system with guaranteed results is obvious. If we do this we should achieve that. Today nothing is a guarantee that we will achieve anything and are goals are greatly flawed. Stability with long term results that benefit us. Where can you find this today? Capitalism, flawed systems, employment, money there is no sustainability in any of these things. In answering these questions I realized that all people need to build personal sanctuary. Maturity and leaving selfishness behind we build our homes and are family. From here we must respect the sanctuary of all people is my conclusion. If we can not build a society that establishes these things we will continue to suffer no matter how well off you think you our. Currently all are systems are opposed to providing anyone such things. When we provide no one sanctuary or any guarantees in life we all live on edge and the results is a broken society.

3. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

It's called Affluenza

And Wealth 101 is the best book to understand what real wealth is.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-101-Gettin … 0931580501

I also think there's a lot of pressure, though. Far too many people look down their noses at people who don't have what they have, and they imagine that they are better because they have more, or have achieved a higher status.

In terms of true character, though, the very fact that they do that, means that they are less.

And to quote Cicero, the Roman orator and philosopher on that one, "Where ignorance is bliss, t'is folly to be wise."