When Did Chivalry Die?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

There are reports that when the Costa Concordia cruise ship started sinking, able-bodied men pushed aside elderly women, women, and children in the rush to reach the lifeboats.  The Costa Concordia captain apparently abandoned his ship.  Contrast this with the sinking of The Titanic and it was women and children first on the lifeboats.  Captain Smith of The Titanic as well as the majority of the men in First Class and in all other classes died.  Modern men seem to be less caring and every man for himself.  When did chivalry die and what killed it?

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately manners and chivalry died a long time ago...some say when the women's movement started.
      I read that the captain got off and was ordered back by the authorities but he refused.. it's a sad statement for humanity

2. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It happened exactly when:

"Captain Smith of The Titanic as well as the majority of the men in First Class and in all other classes died"

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chivalry HAD to die when women demanded to be seen as equal.

I'll gladly be more chivalrous once I see a woman put her coat on a puddle to keep my feet dry.

On a side note, I was recently in a discussion with a fellow female teacher who was complaining about the double standard between the sexes:

"When I get home", she says, "I'm expected to start making dinner. Men don't have to work AND cook!" etc etc.

I countered with "Well, you probably wouldn't be with your man if he made less money than you. Also, if you were on a sinking boat, he'd give you the seat on the lifeboat first."

I dunno, maybe I was a jerk, but women don't see the other side of things. Chivalry and absolute equality can't co-exist.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IMO, equality of the sexes has more to do with the workplace than anything else. And chivalry should be espoused by both sexes. I think anyone in their right mind would give up a seat for a heavily pregnant woman or a very senior citizen. I think any sane person would at least attempt to save someone in peril if they could.

The idea of chivalry associated with mid-century ideals was part of the helpless female ideal. Woman today must be far more industrious and self-sufficient but I think most women would welcome an act of chivalry, even if it's just an unnecessary shell, like opening a door. Not necessary, but an expression of civility.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Respect is respect - everyone should aim for this.

Chivalry is a male thing.

Can you, from your male perspective, explain the difference in your own words, without using a dictionary definition please? You know I respect yor opinion, Evan, and welcome this bit of insight.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Being respectful is one thing, but when the boat is sinking, chivalry is what puts the female stranger on the life-raft instead of me.

Respect is what makes me open the door for an elderly woman; chivalry is what makes me give up my own umbrella to the woman who spent all morning putting on make-up.

We on the same page? Or is chivalry dead AND forgotten?

4. bethperry profile image84
      bethperryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cassie, I tend to believe chivalry isn't dead but is close to social extinction. And it my opinion that the two biggest antagonists to chivalry are the ER movement and religious dogmas that categorize women as inherently evil. Women are not evil nor are they "helpless females", but biologically speaking, men are the born protectors of the species and women are the nurturers. Chivalry developed from a response to the need of protecting women, children, the elderly and otherwise vulnerable from hostile human forces. In medieval times knights didn't just defend royalty but swore allegiance to a code of ethics that bound them to protect these most vulnerable among their societies.
      As far as the tradition of saving "women and children first" in dangerous situations I do feel a great part of this stems from the natural inclination on the part of males to insure the life of the next generation. It may not be politically or religiously acceptable or even fair in the minds of some, but nature has balanced this in many ways. For every man who has offered his own life to protect women and children there is a woman who willingly sacrificed their time and attention for family, and even their very lives in the bloody and often perilous objective of bringing life into the world. 
      So is chivalry a fair thing? Perhaps not, but it has, in times past, helped bring about civility out of chaos. So I for one think we'd be better off with a little more old-fashioned chivalry and a lot less politically-correct chaos.

5. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amazing insight into liberal humanity today here, at least the predominance of humanity that happens to post here, which of course is of long standing liberal bent.  Amazing and disgusting - may God help us all if it is the future of human behavior.  Cook your own dinner, find your own maid, shop for your own sheets, worry about your own health, live by yourself, get a paid surrogate for your kids, mother your own kids (heaven help us all) and get the heck out of my way - except when we both happen to need one another?

1. Bill Yovino profile image86
        Bill Yovinoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huh?

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

I just looked at his profile. Now it makes sense. I guess he removed his tinfoil hat and stepped away from Fox News just long enough to come up with that non-linear reasoning.

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

2. KFlippin profile image61
          KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One would expect no less than a guttural and manly grunt........

1. profile image0
            jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sure I would utter a "guttural and manly grunt..." if equality said I should step into a woman's shoes, when they had 3 inch heels.!!!

On a more serious note, good manners are the oil which lubricates community relationships.  Whether one calls good manners civility or chivalry, I don't really care.  However, giving up one's seat to someone who is more in need applies to the elderly, handicapped, pregnant, a shopper loaded down with groceries, and anyone who might appear exhausted. 

As a 70 year old, fairly fit young man, I have been offered a seat by young guys and girls - it was really appreciated and on more than one occasion it resulted in more than just a Thank You.  We chatted!

Conversely, I will gladly stand for someone older, or younger than myself, depending on the circumstances.

6. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought these two threads that I had opened a while back had these answers accordingly.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/37330#post848907

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40197#post931215

7. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It hasn't died! Cowards have always been around.

2. Bill Yovino profile image86
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

One of the articles i read about the Concordia said that some of the crew members loading the lifeboats prohibited men from boarding with their families, saying "women and children only".  Really? In this day and age? 

You can't have chivalry if you want equality. I'm not talking about civility, which should go both ways.

Wow, this is a real eye-opener, though I shouldn't be suprised. Equality has nothing to do with chivalry. Women have been possessions and literally 2nd class citizens for many years. When the lib movement came along, it was about equality in the workplace and being seen as equally capable to do a job in corporate America. I absolutely disagree with lowering physical standards to accomodate women or anyone else in jobs like firefighting, for example. But when it comes to the office, there's no secret magic held by men. In fact there are some areas where women can excel over men.

With that said, chivalry is about respect and appreciation for the opposite sex and should go both ways. Men are generally stronger and should be delighted to lift the burden for a woman just because he can. Seriously, dudes, what's up with that?

I think the tricky part is to know where to step and where not to. If I'm a superior surfer and you think carrying my surfboard is cute, think again. A polite offer is not insulting but don't grab the board and assume I'm incapable.

On the other hand, if I'm struggling to carry 50 pounds of groceries up the stairs and you walk by, please offer to help.

Likewise, if we're on a date and I'm wearing 3 inch heels and a flimsy dress, it might benefit you to offer your jacket if I'm cold. That's if you intend to ask me out again and want me to say yes.

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually its pure logic, men are better equipped to survive in without a life raft where as a child would be dead and a woman might be in real trouble its a step designed to hopefully minimize casualties.

3. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

A lot of the guys seem to think that if women were accorded equal rights that it means men don't have to be chivalrous.  Chivalry meant being considerate and heroic toward people who were less fortunate.  What does that have to do with women being able to participate in public roles?

Well put.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

I know a few people who have gotten in trouble in the workplace for being chivalrous.

4. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

It is sad to notice the difference between  a hundred years ago and today.  I think there is nothing wrong with chivalry.  I doubt an orchestra would stay to play 'Nearer My God to Thee' today.  They would be using their violins to hit old women over the head in their attempts to escape.  I think our ancestors have a lot to teach us.

1. Greek One profile image64

.. but they are dead.....

some because they were chivalrous smile

1. profile image0
        Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Being dead is no excuse for not helping their descendants.  That is the trouble with dead people, they can be very lazy.

....and uncommunicative

2. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are dead right, Muldania.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Better to die as a hero than to live as a coward?

Tell that to my wife who would have to support our kids on her own

Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's a good reason to push elderly women and children out of the way.

i never said I would push... just be first on the boat

Ok, I understand your point but if there was one boat that held two people, not three, who would go, you, your wife, and not the child? Some people believe they can have more children so leave the child behind.

5. Bill Yovino profile image86

Again, you're confusing civility, which is not gender-specific, with chivalry, which was a medieval code of conduct for knights. The notion that one person's life is more valuable than another's, solely based on gender, is ludicrous.

I'm not confusing the two.  Civility is about politeness and public manners.  Chivalry is an outlook.  It's not the notion that one person's life is more valuable than the other.  It's about a certain standard in how you conduct yourself.  I give up my seat to an elderly person or a pregnant woman because they need that seat and I don't.  On a sinking ship I would give up a seat to a child because I'm more capable of saving myself.

Again, that is civility, not chivalry.  Any honorable person would give up a seat to a child under those conditions.  From wikipedia: For other uses, see Chivalry (disambiguation).
        Chivalry is a term related to the medieval institution of knighthood which has an aristocratic military origin of individual training and service to others. Chivalry was also the term used to refer to a group of mounted men-at-arms as well as to martial valour.

It's true that chivalry evolved from a code of knighthood. So you're saying  that men shoved elderly women and children out of the way to get to the lifeboats because of bad manners?

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Bill - good point about the knights. They were protecting the lives of the royalty? As for chivalry toward women in general, they must have held that it was their honor and privelege to protect the weaker sex in those days, as it should be now. But in today's world, the line gets harder to define but I bet we'd find it in a crisis.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It hasn't. I'm not dead yet.

7. Bill Yovino profile image86

Another point is that when confronted with a life or death situation, some people panic, some people freeze, and some people are at their best. You may think you know what you'll do under those circumstances, but until it happens to you, you'll never know. That is the nature of human behavior. Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then it's ok, because even if they get mad at you, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)