jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)

What do you think about SOPA?

1. Michele Travis profile image71
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

The internet censorship bill is about to be passed.  A lot of web sites are going to shut down between 8am and 8pm.  Wikipedia is one of them.  Here is just one of the links
    http://www.stopthewall.us/?gclid=CLWlw6 … KgodfyKimg

http://www.stopthewall.us/?gclid=CLv7zt … KgodfyKimg

2. Cassie Smith profile image75
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

I think it would be the start of terrible things. It would expose the US businesses to lawsuits from other countries.  I can see why the internet economies don't want to have anything to do with it.

Michele Travisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is a bill congress is going to try to pass, but if other countries could bring lawsuits against U.S. business, then why would congess want to pass it?

1. Cassie Smith profile image75
        Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Because lobbyists from media industries want to stop the piracy.  They're not thinking that this unilateral action would also subject them to actions from other countries.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

If you hate SOPA, then vote for the candidate who openly speaks out against it: Ron Paul.

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

It is the first step full Internet censorship. They can't stand that we can say whatever we want to whomever.

You are correct about that.  Voting for Ron Paul would take too long.  They are trying to pass this bill very soon.  If internet censorship passes,  then will they stop  us from  the right of Free Speech?   Just wondering

5. knolyourself profile image61

All they have to do is find an illegal copyrighted material on a website or even on sites like Hubpages and they will be able to take it off line. Whose to
    know what is legal illegally copyrighted text or photos or music, whatever? Believe I read they even do not need any proof just an accusation. So kiss the Internet good bye.

So, if this passes, they can do anything they want, they don't even have to prove it.   What can the do next,  ok don't answer that, it is scary.

1. calpol25 profile image76
        calpol25posted 5 years ago in reply to this

You know here in England we tend to follow what America does, and if congress passes this, then I bet we will follow and it will happen here. It has to be stopped!!!
        Have a revolution or something, were famous for them here in Europe why not follow our example??? Please!!!

6. knolyourself profile image61

In addition I think I read that there is also a provision that it would be illegal for any of us to create an alternative Internet. From this provision one can guess what this is all about - the preservation of the ruling class.

That is evil, do they really have that much power over people?

2. Michele Travis profile image71

You mean the 1%

Right am gonna muster the troops and invade then they cant pass it and we can have an internet and live happily ever after....

7. Michele Travis profile image71
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

You know they can actually send you to jail for this "crime"  for up to 5 years.  The more I am reading about it, the worse it gets.

8. knolyourself profile image61

'Spose the 1%.
    "That is evil, do they really have that much power over people?" The privately owned fed is illegal.
    Privately owned radio is illegal. They do have that much power over people. They have all the power.

That is awful sad

9. Ralph Deeds profile image68
    Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago

I'm suspicious of SOPA, but I don't know enough about it to form a firm opinion.

working