jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Obama Just Killed SOPA But IP Goes Before Congress On Jan.24th

1. Michele Travis profile image67
    Michele Travisposted 5 years ago

So, what will happen next.  Obama said he is against both bills.  Congress had wanted to pass both of them.  Obama killed SOPA at 3:30 this afternoon.

What is going happen with IP?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudios … gislation/

1. SOE profile image91
      SOEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wish there was a way to Blackout hubs for the protest without unpublishing them.

1. Aficionada profile image92
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was posting on the other thread about this and hadn't seen that Pres. Obama killed this.  Yay! Wonderful!

Matt Cutts posted a link to instructions on how to participate in the blackout.  I'll find that link and post it here shortly.  I don't know whether it can be done with a subdomain.  Has anyone answered that question previously?

2. kateperez profile image76
      kateperezposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh my gosh.. .He actually did something I approve of.. It only took him 3 dang years!!!!

I think that the internet is bigger than the US government and how DARE they believe they can legislate my use of it...

2. Cassie Smith profile image75
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

Probably the same.  To override the presidential veto I think 2/3 majority in both houses have to pass it.

1. Michele Travis profile image67
      Michele Travisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Then both will probably fail, because most of the voters are against those bills.  If the congress and senate have any intelligence they will not override the veto.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't be in there best interests either. That kind of censorship would make the internet a very dull place, who would want to use it? And how the hell would they manage to raise funds from voters and get their message across to the internet generation.

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
          K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1

2. David 470 profile image86
          David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1

1. Anurag2008 profile image88
            Anurag2008posted 5 years ago in reply to this

+100

3. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Here's what Matt Cutts wrote:

"Here's a good guide to taking your website down for protests like SOPA while minimizing the impact on your site in Google. The very short version is to return 503 HTTP status codes, but not for robots.txt. Read the full post for more info."

Following is the link to the full post, written by someone named Pierre Far on Google+.  I was able to access it while signed out.  From what I skimmed, though, it sounds like it would work for your own websites, but not for our individual subdomains.  Sorry.
    https://plus.google.com/115984868678744 … as8vjZ5fmB

4. Reality Bytes profile image91
    Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago

i am a little disappointed that I am able to post on HP this morning.  I was hoping they were taking part in todays blackout protest.  It is HPs decision and I guess they decided that losing a days income was not a viable option I respect that. If you find one of your fav sites down today that is on purpose.

It is in protest, soon we all need to follow this example and refrain from online activity for a day as well.

1. kateperez profile image76
      kateperezposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Any revenue sharing site that blacks out does not do either themselves, or any of their revenue shareholders any favors.

I do not understand the point of the blackout personally, if someone could elaborate, but to have a place like HP black out would not only harm themselves, but the global community who uses this as a form of revenue.

HP is an international site and therefore not involved in any US legislation as far as I can tell from the content of the article.

1. Reality Bytes profile image91
        Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

HP has international users but if I am not mistaken HP is an American site based in San Francisco CA?

working