Anti Sopa petition.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

If you are a US citizen and you are on this website, then signing an Anti SOPA petition is a MUST DO thing for you.

There is still protest and petitions going around, and I've one right here for you should you need to add your name to the list.

http://misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com/20 … /blackout/

1. Michele Travis profile image65
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think we can do more.   People need to stop being lazy and go out and vote.
      We should also notify all politicians who represent our place in the Country State, County any City  that we vote.  It they do not do what we want, we will vote them out. Vote, vote.  The rich cannot help them if we vote.  Many do not vote.  If we really want change, we need to vote, and keep track of what they are doing, even if we need to write it down to remember it.  Then call or write and tell them we will vote for them or against them.  More people need to vote.

And sign petitions also.  That is also a good thing.,  I mean that.  Sorry,  I am on a rant right now about voting.

1. justom profile image58
        justomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Michele, I love your spunk but I'd like to ask who exactly are you gonna'  vote for? It's a "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" situation. Everyone who runs for most any office has an agenda and big $ backs it all. This country and many others have chosen a path based on wealth and inhumanity and I'm afraid voting idiots out and replacing them with new idiots solves nothing. I think this time the revolution will be televised.

Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

In this day and time - I think that protests and petitions do more than votes - outside of voting with your dollars.

2. Seek-n-Find profile image70
      Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting this!  I've been trying to get the word out and was just about to create a forum, too...but you already did!  I agree--everybody--please take action!

3. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good on you!

4. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've sent an email to my representative. I've heard that the co-founder has backed out - but doesn't mean the bill will be thrown out. I've also heard that President Obama will veto...

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

he likes to say that before hand .. he said the same about the NDAA this year. The   article pertaining to forced ISP blocking has been removed and that was Obama's talking point.

Wesman, PIPA is in the Senate - SOPA in the House - not much difference between the two.

Contact the appropriate Reps with the appropriate acronyms

Absolutely.  Obama has proved to be untrustworthy.

2. DonnaCosmato profile image86
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

Okay, taken care of. I've signed several other petitions and we are working on a letter to our Congressman. Thanks for raising awareness of this egregious attempt to once again limit or take away our liberty.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

Someone told me that SOPA is out or been thrown out, or whatever, already....but I've yet to see anything official about it.

If there's a petition for that other thing PIPA, or whatever, then I'd like to see it so that I could sign that and put it everywhere on the net as well.

4. Pascale1973 profile image48
    Pascale1973posted 12 years ago

Hi wesman, i've signed the multiple petitions around, i wrote an article about the same subject today, I'd love for you to check it out.

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Got to keep the pressure on legislators to get rid of this threat to free speech.
    Too many of them have been bought and paid for, but if enough voters pressure them, we can turn the tide.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

Hello all - if this is all legit, then Obama killed SOPA.

I'm not an Obama fan, but I'm officially donating two kudos to Obama assuming this is all good.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/obama-kills-sopa

1. Michele Travis profile image65
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wesman thank you for putting this up,  I also signed the petition,  and called my representive.  That helps also.  We can let them know we vote and will not vote for them if they do not do what we want them to do.

7. Michele Travis profile image65
    Michele Travisposted 12 years ago

You can contact your representive here

https://blacklist.eff.org/?action_KEY=8336

8. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

I also thought that President Obama put the kaibosh to the more extreme measures of SOPA.

But I am somewhat confused about it all. We go off when our own work gets plagiarized, so how are the other arts industries any different?

In the end, I can see how this legislation needs to be whacked because of the whack jobs who would use it against their political, ethnic and social enemies, so I am supporting the petition and protests.

9. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

just signed your petition, wesman.

Thank You!!!!

10. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

Here's a video that tells more about it...it is informative.

http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa

1. Seek-n-Find profile image70
      Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's a phrase from the video: 

"Sites like youtube, twitter, and facebook would have to censor their users or get shut down since they become liable for everything users post. And ordinary users could go to jail for five years for posting any copyrighted work--even just singing a pop song."

11. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

Also, here is an e-mail I received today--it gives info on what people can do next:

Today was nuts, right?

Google launched a petition.  Wikipedia voted to shut itself off.  Senators' websites went down just from the sheer surge of voters trying to write them.   NYC and SF geeks had protests that packed city blocks.

You made history today: nothing like this has ever happened before.  Tech companies and users teamed up.  Tens of millions of people who make the internet what it is joined together to defend their freedoms.  The free network defended itself.  Whatever you call it, the bottom line is clear: from today forward, it will be much harder to mess up the internet.

The really crazy part?  We might even win.

Approaching Monday's crucial Senate vote there are now 35 Senators publicly opposing PIPA.  Last week there were 5.   And it just takes just 41 solid "no" votes to permanently stall PIPA (and SOPA) in the Senate.  What seemed like miles away a few weeks ago is now within reach.

But don't trust predictions.  The forces behind SOPA & PIPA (mostly movie companies) can make small changes to these bills until they know they have the votes to pass.  Members of Congress know SOPA & PIPA are unpopular, but they don't understand why--so they're easily duped by superficial changes.  The Senate returns next week, and the next few days are critical.  Here are two things to think about:

1. Plan on calling your Senator every day next week.  Pick up the phone each morning and call your Senators' offices, until they vote "no" on cloture.  If your site participated today, consider running a "Call the Senate" link all next week. 

2. Tomorrow, drop in at your Senators' district offices.  We don't have a cool map widget to show you the offices nearest you (we're too exhausted! any takers?).  So do it the old fashioned way: use Google, or the phonebook to find the address, and just walk in, say you oppose PIPA, and urge the Senator to vote "no" on cloture.  These drop-in visits make our spectacular online protests more tangible and credible. 

That's it for now. Be proud and stay on it!

--Holmes, Tiffiniy, and the whole Fight for the Future team.

12. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Vote for who?

13. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)