jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Country without Armed Forces

1. jainismus profile image78
    jainismusposted 4 years ago

Is it possible for a nation to live without armed forces when others always want to attack?

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I once read a sci fi story (Asimov, I think) in the 50s or 60s about a country that was invaded by soldiers and the soldiers all died, but the people of the country lived. What had happened, if I remember the story correctly, the water supply had been 'poisoned' with something and the people vaccinated against the poison. Of course, the soldiers weren't...

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Does Switzerland have an army? They can always hire Blackwater (now called Xze), the largest private army in the world, owned and trained right here in the USA, NC, I think.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The question is "is the armed force" national or private.

2. recommend1 profile image70
    recommend1posted 4 years ago

of course it is possible - every 'small' country is vulnerable to any other bigger country that wants to attack and its armed forces are a waste of time and lives.  Just look at the shambles and killing ground that was Iraq. 

A defence force is the only thing that should be allowed in the world today for any civilized country that wants to trade with anyone else.

3. moiragallaga profile image86
    moiragallagaposted 4 years ago

Costa Rica has no military, though it has a public security force for law enforcement purposes.

4. lora93 profile image60
    lora93posted 4 years ago

yes its possible